Technical Differences: 1300 x 4 vs 1500 x 5

Currently reading:
Technical Differences: 1300 x 4 vs 1500 x 5

BillOliver

I have just bought a 1978, 1300 4 gear Fiat X1/9.
I have downloaded and printed the service manual for the 1500 5 gear from
http://x19gr.50webs.com/ServiceManual.htm (Thank you X1/9 Greek Club)
1) APART from the bore of the motor, the gearbox and I have RH drive, what else is different please? (I am in Malaysia and have a RIGHT hand drive model; same as English I expect.)

2) Is the gearbox much the same except for the number of gears and ratios?

Thank you ever so much in anticipation.
Bill Oliver
Australian in Malaysia
www.billoliver.net

The bore of the motors is actually much the same - the 1500 engine has a longer stroke, making it a taller engine. Hence the need for a different engine bay cover to accomodate that extra height.

The suspension is different - the rear left swingarm has a cutout in it to allow for the extra dimensions of the 5-speed gearbox. The dampers are different too to handle a bit more weight and slightly different ride height.

The gearbox is longer with a little extension housing to accomodate the 5th gear pair, gear ratios are obviously different and the differential output was altered to replace the tripode linkage used in the 1300 with CV joints at both ends of each shaft on the 1500.

The bumpers are different - the lightweight overrider style corner bumpers of the early 4-speed is replaced with some heavyduty extruded aluminium girders front and rear.

The interior was substantially changed with new dashboard, seats, door panels, etc. You also have the added option of electric windows in the later cars.

The biggest "single" difference is the wiring. The 1300 can only really be described as crude in comparison with the complexity (not necessarily reliable) wiring of the 1500. Things improved over the years and the later 1500s are substantially better than the early cars.

Rust proofing improved radically from the 1300 to the early 1500, then took a step back when Bertone took over finally getting back to "good" (as opposed to excellent) with the last editions.

The brakes were altered subtly using a single piece cast alloy caliper instead of the piston and frame design that first appeared.

The only other thing of note is the fuel injection system used on the federal spec cars but this was never officially sold outside of the USA and only ever in LHD form.

Superb, sorry Bill for sending you I think it was 3 e-mails. Just read this posting and it confirms you live in Malaysia. Is that you Julian who replied to Bill in the 2nd posting?

Anyway, I was born in Penang and have this thing for tracking down Malaysian enthusiasts ............ the dream being to have some sort of Malaysia event in the future during one of my trips. I have a couple of contacts already and know that there are a number of X1/9's driving around in the sun and heat.

I would love to add you to my e-mail list and hope that we could meet to kick tyres and chat Italian wedge shaped cars sometime in the future.

Ewen

Here are some photos of a 1300 in Malaysia.

Attachments

• Malaysianx19-1.jpg
    Malaysianx19-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 53
  • mx19-2.jpg
    mx19-2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 68
  • MX19-3.jpg
    MX19-3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 59
  • MX19-4.jpg
    MX19-4.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 68
Jim,
WOW! I had no idea the list was so extensive.
Thank you ever so for a such a detailed reply.
Bill Oliver
Australian in Malaysia
1978 X1/9, 1.3L/4G, 27,000mi/44,000km, excellent mechanical & body condition.

Hi, I know its an old thread, unfortunately I just read it.

Just adding that I am a Malaysian in Kuala Lumpur with a 1980 (registered '82) x1/9 1500, 5 speed. Sat in the showroom for 2 years before it was sold, it was pretty pricey back in the day. Bought it last year from a little old lady in Ipoh who had it from new. She was 74 when i bought the car. She literally pottered around town to visit friends and go to the shops with it. 75k original km's and never restored, just a coat of paint few years back on the outside only. No rust and everything works, even the interior lights. Drove it back to KL (about 150km away) an hour after seeing it.
Pics were taken just as arrived home on the day I bought her. Rained all the home.

Attachments

• P1010343.JPG
    P1010343.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010344.JPG
    P1010344.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010345.JPG
    P1010345.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010346.JPG
    P1010346.JPG