General Difference between Brava 1.6 ELX & HSX?

Currently reading:
General Difference between Brava 1.6 ELX & HSX?

its seriously risky retailing fiats. not just fiats though. nissan and rover get a hammering too

Quick update:
Managed to get the MCD36 changer plus leads off eBay for €115 delivered. Should receive it probably next week. I'll then have the fun task of getting the lead from the headunit to the boot. Am getting a Haynes manual on Friday which I'm sure will come in handy for that job.

Have also been to the Fiat dealer in Galway to enquire about getting the timing belt changed. The guy could only give me prices on parts and promised to call me with a quote for labour...3 days later and still no phone call. After reading these forums over the past couple of weeks I'm not really surprised. Also asked for a price for a service (oil, filters). Again could only give cost of parts - reckons this car takes 9 litres of oil! Surely that can't be right???

Just seen this thread. Congratulations on your purchase. It's the same as mine only mine is red. I've owned my Brava since last December and (touch wood) it's been faultless. I find it to be very comfortable and on my regular runs from Belfast to Tipperary it's been great. My only irk is that the 1.6 isn't very economical, but I tend to rev the nuts off it. :)

I recently paid £135 sterling for a timing belt change in Belfast, I paid £115 sterling for its 48k service earlier this year. Apart from that and a couple of tyres it hasn't cost me anything else over the year I've owned it during which I've covered 20,000 miles!

Shop around a few dealers for quotes even if you have to travel a bit, it can save you a small fortune and sure it's a good excuse for a day trip. :)

The thing is that I've always worked on my own cars - from general servicing to more involved stuff like suspension, wheel bearings, headgaskets. I figure why pay & trust some monkey to do something when I can do it myself. However, I've never done a timing belt before and really can't afford to 'practice' on this car! That's why I went to Fiat but my visit to them didn't exactly fill me with confidence. I only asked about the service out of interest. If the price was right then I may have got it done at the same time as the belt but...

Anyway, I'll try a few other places and do some reading up on what the job involves. I may find that it's not as complicated as I think. I dreaded doing the headgasket on the Clio but it actually turned out to be ok and taught me a whole lot along the way.

Has anyone on here ever done a timing belt on a Brava/Bravo before?

Oops...shouldn't have been so quick to criticise Fiat. They just got back to me with a price of €230 for the timing belt (inc. vat). That's about £150-£155...not as bad as I was expecting. €180 for the service which includes oil change, oil filter, air filter, plugs and full check of suspension, brakes, exhaust etc. He reckons that's about €90 in parts and €90 in labour. Not so impressed with that since I've already had the brakes and exhaust checked over and it's easy to change plaugs, filters etc. Could also probably get the parts cheaper elsewhere.

@Steve_C: Glad to hear you've had no problems in almost a year of owning the Brava. I'm well pleased with mine - it's obvioulsy a massive step up from what I had before and getting into it still has me smiling to myself! It's the simple things like the dimming interior light - get's me every time! Daft I know but I really am soooooo impressed with this car.

PeterW said:
Quick update:
Managed to get the MCD36 changer plus leads off eBay for €115 delivered. Should receive it probably next week. I'll then have the fun task of getting the lead from the headunit to the boot. Am getting a Haynes manual on Friday which I'm sure will come in handy for that job.

Have also been to the Fiat dealer in Galway to enquire about getting the timing belt changed. The guy could only give me prices on parts and promised to call me with a quote for labour...3 days later and still no phone call. After reading these forums over the past couple of weeks I'm not really surprised. Also asked for a price for a service (oil, filters). Again could only give cost of parts - reckons this car takes 9 litres of oil! Surely that can't be right???

the oil is measured in units of 500ml. thats how they charge for 9 units. Millenium Autos in Galway were always majorly nice to me any time i was in there looking for parts.

Hi everyone,

I own a Fiat Brava 1.6 16V / 103 hp, year 2001.
My question is: Is there some other types of Brava beside HSX, ELX and SX???
... 'cos I don't have any of those inscriptions on my car.
Jusr plain and simple "Fiat" on left and "Brava" on right.(no HSX, ELX nor SX).

Now, I know that is a stupid question to ask, but: what kind of Brava do I have?

Thanks!

Steve C said:
What year is it and what is the trim level like?
year: 2001!
trim level ... what do you mean about trim level? what is "trim level"?

It could be a trofeo or special series. In Ireland. the special series didn;t get a badge. but got the HSX's 7 spoke alloys and the discrete boot spoiler. also got leather wheel and knob. (but no sunroof...)
yours must be one of these as the trim level badges are joined onto the Brava badge. and the Brava badge can't be ordered on its own without a trim level beside it. (I've tried!)

Last edited:
Hi we have a fiat brava trofeo with sunroof w reg we have the leatherstearing wheel n gear stick n the boot spoiler can some one tell me why this is classed as a specialas the log book says nothing

Back