Detailing for beginners - training ?

Currently reading:
Detailing for beginners - training ?

I have always regarded myself as pretty competant in cleaning cars, but, some of these businesses and individuals that detail attain fantastic results. The methods used have long surpassed the basics of wash,leather and wax.

Does anybody offer training for us mere mortals to enable us to learn how to use the machinery and chemicals available.

I don't mean training so we can all set up in business tomorrow but just the basics.

How to mop
How to clay properly
What to use

Any of you pro-detailers want a challenge? Willing to pay for a day's training, even regard me as free labour for a day !!

Hi Matt,

I currently use a pressure washer, foam lance, blade, leather, then finally micro-fibre cloths which I wash after every use.

I am a clay novice at present.

I then use AutoGlym super resin polish and extra gloss. Tyre dress, etc.

I would really like to learn how to go that extra mile properly. Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased with the results, but they pale when you see what some of the guys out there do.... and of course I really enjoy doing it.

Hi Matt,

I currently use a pressure washer, foam lance, blade, leather, then finally micro-fibre cloths which I wash after every use.

I am a clay novice at present.

I then use AutoGlym super resin polish and extra gloss. Tyre dress, etc.

I would really like to learn how to go that extra mile properly. Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased with the results, but they pale when you see what some of the guys out there do.... and of course I really enjoy doing it.

So you want to be shown the basics of how to clean and clay it properly and then shown how to finish it with clay,wax, polish, sealant and a wax? Or do you want to be shown how to use a machine polisher etc?

aaaarrrrgggghhhh noooooo

Id only ditch the blade out of those three :p

Matt, the whole works, I want to be shown how the pro's do it basically. The machine polishing I am scared to do as you hear horror stories.

Ref the blade, I can see why the 'aaarrrggghhh noooooo', I wipe it after every sweep, but the potential for grit must be huge. I promise to bin it.

Last edited:
First and only car i gave a "proper" detail as i would call it with a porter cable etc was mine. I did it with a mate that had a bit of experience with one and it was suprisingly easy. Do you have your own porter cable or anything? If not i wouldnt be too worried about learning how to use one of those as you only really want to be using it once a year on your own car.

For drying i would get a couple of these:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

Thanks Matt, I don't own a porter...yet.

Thanks for the link too. I bought 50 smaller micro-fibres from Costco and have been using them with surprisingly good results, so I can see myself getting one of those.

Last edited:
Spot on, just tried them on a Bobby Womack CD and not a single mark !

Note, this does not suggest that Bobby Womack is at all gash, it's a great CD!

I looked at that polisher, looks good value for money, have put it on my Christmas list. I can see the ££££'s disappearing !

Last edited:
If you're interested in actually going to a course, have a look on the Autosmart website. I think they help organise a course through a company in Norwich. Or the detailing world forum is organising a HUGE meet in january. The plan is to get hold of some old cars to play with, and they're planning on having like mini tuition sessions for everyone in attendance. Seriously need to get yourself signed up on that site, it is amazing. I'm getting better everytime i try it, am presently 3 hours into detailing the 100hp (just letting the sealant cure) but i wouldn't have caught the bug without reading up over there.

Why not attend one of the detailing world meetings which are probably free. I'm sure a few people put on demonstrations at these things, if nothing more to sell you their goods ;)

I don't think there really is any magic about detailing. To me detailing (apart from being a slightly silly word :) ) is just spending far longer cleaning your car so you achieve the extra 20% that most people don't worry about. I think it's really nothing more than spending more time and buying an electric polisher so you can really take that top layer of paint of your car to achieve a swirl free finish.

I bought a £20 rotary polisher and a £2 bottle of restorer polish from Wilko to tart up a car I was selling a few years back and spent the whole weekend cleaning top to bottom and inside out and it looked a million dollars. From a financial perspective it was good because I sold the car for £1500 when it only cost £800 but I wouldn't want to be doing everyday or attempting to keep my car spotless which I thinks nearly impossible if you happen to actually drive your car.

There really is no secret to using clay, buy it, read and follow the instructions job done.

Mopping, there is a guide on detailing world that explains mopping much better than I could. Just have the confidence to have a go and I don't think you can really go wrong unless you lose your commonsense.

Last edited:
Back