General Decision time

Currently reading:
General Decision time

lprescott

What feels like a long time ago I developed a soft spot for the boxy little cars that scaled the alps. A lot of time passed and in 2012 I bought one that did not yet work but in the knowledge l would have time to fettle and repair. I fettled, and I broke. I had time but no money. Then I returned to a proper job and had money and no time so the panda went to reside at my mother in Laws where it has rested for 4 more years.
In those years I have had 2 kids and stared working part time so the inevitable trade between time and money has not been in my favour. Now the garage is wanted and action is required.
It is definitely not cost effective to repair but it can be done and I want to. Maybe just getting an MOT should be the target?

Aye it's good to have a project, but there comes a time when realistically you have to let go. The very fact you are saying on here the things that you shouldn't keep the car, or get it through a MOT, speaks volumes. Do the maths,make a decision & move on.... :)

If it's a struggle time wise let it go . Your kids should be first Another will come your way sometime If it's your dream or just a fantasy .

If it's a struggle time wise let it go . Your kids should be first Another will come your way sometime If it's your dream or just a fantasy .
OR do the Panda and have more kids later on when it's done

in all honesty, a panda project is -the- best car project to have. with the car being so basic and small it makes it very easy to repair. Fiat never did any "dealership only repair" things with the panda. no special tools are ever needed and the work shop manuals pretty much cover it all.

man out of my car projects, the panda was by far the most easy and cheap to fix up to mot standard.

my latest project (and current run around now) is a Citroen BX diesel estate. it has been a nightmare for parts, "dealership only repairs" and special tools.. and cost me about £4000 in total over the last year and a bit of having it.
the panda was pretty much repaired on a job seekers "wage".

if the car "drives" get it in for an MOT so you have a check list of things to address. my advice before you do that is to overhaul the braking system. check pads, discs, and pipes. any that look crusty, just replace it. the flare kit, pipes and unions are very cheap from ebay. to learn, just hit youtube plenty of videos of how to make a flare with the kits from ebay.

really though, to completely re-pipe the whole braking system on a panda it would cost about £60 and thats if you are buying the flare tool , pipe, unions, and replacement flexy pipes too. if your front calipers do not leak and can press the piston back in you could get away with not having to replace them. just clean them up a little.

compared to the BX, panda parts are crazy cheap. amazon and Ebay are your friend! some incredible deals to be had on Amazon sometimes!

in all honesty, a panda project is -the- best car project to have. with the car being so basic and small it makes it very easy to repair. Fiat never did any "dealership only repair" things with the panda. no special tools are ever needed and the work shop manuals pretty much cover it all.

man out of my car projects, the panda was by far the most easy and cheap to fix up to mot standard.

my latest project (and current run around now) is a Citroen BX diesel estate. it has been a nightmare for parts, "dealership only repairs" and special tools.. and cost me about £4000 in total over the last year and a bit of having it.
the panda was pretty much repaired on a job seekers "wage".

if the car "drives" get it in for an MOT so you have a check list of things to address. my advice before you do that is to overhaul the braking system. check pads, discs, and pipes. any that look crusty, just replace it. the flare kit, pipes and unions are very cheap from ebay. to learn, just hit youtube plenty of videos of how to make a flare with the kits from ebay.

really though, to completely re-pipe the whole braking system on a panda it would cost about £60 and thats if you are buying the flare tool , pipe, unions, and replacement flexy pipes too. if your front calipers do not leak and can press the piston back in you could get away with not having to replace them. just clean them up a little.

compared to the BX, panda parts are crazy cheap. amazon and Ebay are your friend! some incredible deals to be had on Amazon sometimes!

The list of jobs has been compiled already. It is long. Everything you have mentioned is on it, along with electrics, service items, tyres, screen wiper arm, speedo cable and shocks.
All eminently do-able just time consuming and the kids aren't old enough to be able to "help" yet. I am sure that the eldest would love to though :)

Had same problem myself recently feel your pain.

Extra hours at work so little time a wife two kids other projects commitments you know the score.

I have finally done bit of work on her and shes due her MOT tomorrow i really want to keep her and i'm determined but tomorrow will decide again.

Hope things work out for you

Spencer.

So having discussed the car with my wife, it has to go. If anyone would like a project and can pick up it will be free to a good home short of a miracle. :(

Aye, sometimes you just have to let go_On the other side of the coin I made the decision along with my wife to restore a future classic in the tune of a five figure sum..:eek: at the beginning of the year. We are not rich but not short of a bob or two. A somewhat selfish choice on my behalf, but I would have never entertained the idea if we could not afford the project. In a few years time I will be retiring & this was a belated sixtieth birthday present.

I would certainly encourage anyone to chase their dream regarding a chosen project, after all, life really is too short.

It was a pleasure to meet and your lovely children. It might have been a little regretful and slightly stressful for you but i
Once we have given her a good look over and assessed the problems a
New thread will
Be started
thanks liam
We give Her-the full attention needed

Steve & Adam

Last edited:
IMG_1507475482.344461.jpg
We have got her running fitted a replacement fuel pump but the line must be blocked ? A 1 gallon mower fuel tank is now just under the bonnet for the fuel supply starter motor is playing up probably corrosion on the shaft. Now works 4 out of 10 try’s. Was 1-20 Sill to the floor is detached pretty bad both sides also as is the leaf hanger box full of holes but not terminal also the fuel tank is weeping fuel drives though !!!! Given the 4x4 system a Try already. Until we have working space she will have to stay in the mill not dry but out of the rain

Last edited:
IMG_1507529190.890802.jpg
As hiccup arrived
IMG_1507529249.817381.jpg
Driven down to the mill for storage
Now the big question. Do I make Magenta standard and then fit all the lift kit swing arms to Hiccup or not by doing the afore mentioned that would put a sisley back on the road and then the 4x4 could become the modified version !!

Steve, keep it a simple restoration and keep it as standard so you can use it and understand the pros and cons of your modifications and designs on the other projects you've got.

Yep as we have one shell practically complete ready for bolt ons it may be best to from that to produce a standard running motor ie Magenta then get Hiccup in the shed and put her on the spit. Then start again
Best check with the Boss first though
!!!!

Back