Technical Debimetro or MAF query

Currently reading:
Technical Debimetro or MAF query

2bakedbeans

Hi. My Croma diesel 1.9 16v 2008 MkII version (in Italy) yesterday the amber motor warning light came on. Odd as the car is behaving normally. Handbook tells me nothing, so today took it to local Bosch garage for a diagnostic check. Result was a quote to replace the Airflow meter or Debimetro as they call it for €204 (£182) plus a light cancelling fee plus labour all including VAT (22% here!) totalling €236 (£210).
The light was cancelled but came on again minutes later.
This seems expensive as various Italian and UK car parts online quote around £70 to £85 for the part. Quite a difference?
I've read some of the previous posts and MAFs appear to be a common theme.
By the way the car has done about 265,000kms (165,000mls) It was driven back from UK after spending 3 months there in December and will be driven back again in March for a two month visit and each time it will be around a 5,000km trip.
Is it a DIY job for a non techie and will the warning light go off?
Thanks
Ray

Hi. My Croma diesel 1.9 16v 2008 MkII version (in Italy) yesterday the amber motor warning light came on. Odd as the car is behaving normally. Handbook tells me nothing, so today took it to local Bosch garage for a diagnostic check. Result was a quote to replace the Airflow meter or Debimetro as they call it for €204 (£182) plus a light cancelling fee plus labour all including VAT (22% here!) totalling €236 (£210).
The light was cancelled but came on again minutes later.
This seems expensive as various Italian and UK car parts online quote around £70 to £85 for the part. Quite a difference?
I've read some of the previous posts and MAFs appear to be a common theme.
By the way the car has done about 265,000kms (165,000mls) It was driven back from UK after spending 3 months there in December and will be driven back again in March for a two month visit and each time it will be around a 5,000km trip.
Is it a DIY job for a non techie and will the warning light go off?
Thanks
Ray
"Is it a DIY job for a non techie and will the warning light go off?"
Yes to the first bit and no to the second.
Usually a MAF sensor is either held on with a couple of screws or comes with a piece of inlet pipe that is held on with clips, so fairly straight forward.
I would expect a good diagnostic tool would clear the code assuming nothing else is at fault.
My thoughts are if they are fitting a genuine Bosch part and garuntee that will fix the fault (in writing) and clear the code with no extra charges as, you are stuck there, dependent on the vehicle, it may be the way to go, especially if they waive the original diagnostic charge;) .
If you fit it yourself and then pay another garage to clear the code, then find it wasn't the answer???
Some garages charge £100 +vat just to diagnose.
If you are staying with Fiat maybe invest in the Fiat Multiecuscan program and leads to diagnose yourself.

"Is it a DIY job for a non techie and will the warning light go off?"
Yes to the first bit and no to the second.
Usually a MAF sensor is either held on with a couple of screws or comes with a piece of inlet pipe that is held on with clips, so fairly straight forward.
I would expect a good diagnostic tool would clear the code assuming nothing else is at fault.
My thoughts are if they are fitting a genuine Bosch part and garuntee that will fix the fault (in writing) and clear the code with no extra charges as, you are stuck there, dependent on the vehicle, it may be the way to go, especially if they waive the original diagnostic charge;) .
If you fit it yourself and then pay another garage to clear the code, then find it wasn't the answer???
Some garages charge £100 +vat just to diagnose.
If you are staying with Fiat maybe invest in the Fiat Multiecuscan program and leads to diagnose yourself.
Thanks Mike for reply. Fortunately they didn't charge for the diagnostic check and don't really mind them doing the job, but the cost of the part is over inflated. I will get back to them and ask just what brand they were quoting on before going further with it.
Yes I have studied various OBDII readers etc, which would be useful but it's another gadget that would get little use. I did check out members here who have the multiscan so might do that when back in UK.

Thanks Mike for reply. Fortunately they didn't charge for the diagnostic check and don't really mind them doing the job, but the cost of the part is over inflated. I will get back to them and ask just what brand they were quoting on before going further with it.
Yes I have studied various OBDII readers etc, which would be useful but it's another gadget that would get little use. I did check out members here who have the multiscan so might do that when back in UK.
Genuine Bosch is probably better value, but as you indicate there are cheaper parts.

Back