Styling Debadged grille wont fit....

Currently reading:
Styling Debadged grille wont fit....

Just got it in the post, and, usual problem, it doesn't fit.

It fits in the recess fine, but the back of it is catching on the bonnet catch, i.e. that sticks out too far so it's making the grille pushed out.

See:
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/235170-fk-automotive-badgeless-grille-help.html

Why the heck should I have to grind it off? I don't even have a grinder! This is so ridiculous.

No other options?!! They should really sort out the FK site, it sucks, and now this.

Additionally, it didn't come with bolts or anything, am I supposed to just clip it in with the plastic clips ? Sounds risky as.

And I would do that because........?

I bought a grille for my exact model, make and specification. I expect it to fit by default.....

So how does the oe bonnet grille fit round the catch? Does it have a cut out hidden by the badge or is it moulded with a recess? Are you able to use it as a pattern to modify your new grille. It sounds as if the de-badged grille is just a cheap pattern moulding, that they expect you to modify.

I know there are limits to how far you go, but if you were to buy a replacement windscreen, and Gavin from Autoglass turned up, put it in, and there was an inch gap along the top. Would you not be a bit pissed off with him if he said 'Oh that doesn't matter, just get it to fit. Put some more rubber round it or something'

It's just not the thing to do. If you buy something you expect it to do / fit what it is claimed to do.

Just phone them up, and get them to send one to you that they have tested on a vehicle after leaving the factory.

So how does the oe bonnet grille fit round the catch? Does it have a cut out hidden by the badge or is it moulded with a recess? Are you able to use it as a pattern to modify your new grille. It sounds as if the de-badged grille is just a cheap pattern moulding, that they expect you to modify.

The old one fits behind the badge, as there is a recess where the badge circle is.

Faz,

can i ask how much you paid for it? there are 4 generic Badgeless Grills for the Mk2b punto on FKauto's website, all look identical.

I got the cheapest, I saw three on their website, one was crome, the other said black but was 20 euros more, so I went for the 18 euro one.

dont mean to sound liek an arse.. but if something dont fit quit bitchin and make it fit so they got the desing wrong a little but its easyly corrected if your not happy with it go back to your badged grille and send that one back....:confused:

Well you do sound a bit of an arse. It's hard to comprehend how you don't understand this, it's actually hard to put it into another example really.

Here is the deal.

I give the supplier my money in exchange for a product. As specified by the seller, I believe the product is for my vehicle. When it arrives, it does not fit. So, who has not fulfilled their side of the agreement? I gave the money, but did not recieve a suitable product. I can't put it any more simply.

Ideally I would rather not spend £10 posting it back to Germany, after paying £10 to get it posted here.

I know there are limits to how far you go, but if you were to buy a replacement windscreen, and Gavin from Autoglass turned up, put it in, and there was an inch gap along the top. Would you not be a bit pissed off with him if he said 'Oh that doesn't matter, just get it to fit. Put some more rubber round it or something'

It's just not the thing to do. If you buy something you expect it to do / fit what it is claimed to do.

Just phone them up, and get them to send one to you that they have tested on a vehicle after leaving the factory.

I'm going to phone them tomorrow and see if they can send one which will actually fit.

Otherwise, i'll send it back, but only if I recieve money to post it beforehand.

I really don't think I sound like a dick, it's kinda conventional to expect something to work when you're told it will by the seller...?

Highlighted the key word there..

I got the cheapest

problems have been shown with these grilles before, you pointed it out in the thread you mentioned in your first post..

some puntos dont have that loop on the grille, some do. the more expensive one fits properly, send it back, get the other one.

simple refund and exchange like you would do with any other product that doesnt fit or work.

problems have been shown with these grilles before, you pointed it out in the thread you mentioned in your first post..

some puntos dont have that loop on the grille, some do. the more expensive one fits properly, send it back, get the other one.

simple refund and exchange like you would do with any other product that doesnt fit or work.

I'm fairly sure that the 3 you are talking about are

1. The cheapest one debadged obv
2. The chrome one debadged
3. The more expensive one that has a badge. (Picture is just generic)

So he has bought the correct one. And I totally understand his frustartion. The actives have the loop at the front and so FK must not have moulded it on an active.

Divvys

How naive, just assuming because it's cheap that it won't work!! Cheap stuff works, just the reliability and standards are not up to the same as more expensive stuff.

Just to make this really clear, I bought the only grille that said it was debadged . There is no other. So no mistake has been made.

For the record, I said cheapest as an indication to which one I bought. I don't class 18EUR + 10EUR shipping as "cheap" for a lump of cadcam plastic which cost 30 cents to produce. £30 is a lot of money...........
Thanks Divvys, you seem to understand.

I am fairly confident I can drill a line which will not be massively visible, but will allow the catch to sit there, but I don't see why I should have to. If FK refuse to refund me or pay for postage, I'll probably drill it.

Last edited:
There's 3 on FK site...all look the same in each picture...

€19

€30

€44

All are the same design, more than likely made using the same mould, its just the plastic type thats different to allow them to be painted etc..

At end of the day, its only €19, its not like its gonna take a lot of work to make it fit!

FK will probably not replace it or offer you postage money, as its not actually defective as it will fit other mk2b's that dont have the loop.

OK I accept my misstake. When looking on FK for Punto 188. 4 grilles come up in the search and from what I can tell they all appear badgeless. That's without looking at it in detail or clicking on the product.

I accept my misstake and apologise. But not taking back my qoute about cheap. I know several people who debadged thier grilles with no problems. However will accept this could be down to your car been different, or them buying different grills.

But I do stand by what i said about refund. Read the websites terms and conditions would be the most logic step...

just reminded me of that phrase....
was said by my lecturer, during his lecture at uni in huddersfield,,,another student who was complaining about the work load. He was told not to have a paddy...I looked at him strangely but he wouldnt explain what he meant by it, now I know haha...

seems like your making a moutain out of a mole hill.... if you read the thread you posted he got down n made it fit.. no matter how much you have a paddy about it the problem still occurs so fix it or forget it, so simple :confused:

Ok so I have to sort it out, I'm having a paddy because I have no prior warning of this, the FK site is, frankly, rubbish, 3 images the same and no description?

I too am sure I can make it fit, just I shouldn't have to, OR, I should be prepared to before I buy it.

The thing didn't even come with any bolts, instructions or a receipt! Am I supposed to rely on the crappy plastic clips?

Back