Dash speed error - 2008 Ducato 160 multijet

Currently reading:
Dash speed error - 2008 Ducato 160 multijet

sidi1000

Hi All, anyone had same problem as this and point me in the direction of things to check.

Have a converted camper based on a ducato 160 multijet L4H2 and as a result it has a Altia digital tacho fitted. For some reason the dash speed has recently started to show a higher speed than actually being travelled at. If doing 60mph which is correctly shown on tacho and verified by gps speed the dash shows around 80mph!

From what I can find the gearbox speed sensor should go via ECU, output to Tacho then output from Tacho to dash. If logic wins over am I looking at it being the Tacho at fault or does dash speed actually come from wheel sensor and not from the tacho?

Under normal circumstance would not be a problem to live with but with this also meaning the mileage is out by some 25-30% its going significantly higher than it should if I don't get it fixed!

Speedometer drives/signals come from one, either or both of the following:

o Final drive from the gearbox differential
o From the ABS / wheel sensors

Have you actually checked the odometer is reading incorrectly as well. Just because the speed in 20mph high it does not mean that the odometer/distance is similarly high.

Also if you can find someone with diagnostic kit near to you they can check what the various systems are reporting for vehicle speed.

Mileage is out by same % so it needs fixing ASAP as got some long trips over the next few weeks/months. Will see if diagnostic check comes back with anything.

Back