Technical Dash lighting & n/s tail lamp failure

Currently reading:
Technical Dash lighting & n/s tail lamp failure

pandandy

Hi folks,
Asking for any help here please. Picked up my lovely new (to me) 1990 Panda Mk1 last Friday. It's a 1000CL. All going well 'til it started to get dark and I put the lights on... no dash or switch illumination. I pulled in to a services... all external lights good apart from n/s tail lamp.
Checked the Owners Manual and saw that there's a 7.5A fuse which does both the above and YES... it was blown. Popped a new one in and it also blew.... and then another!
Today, I've checked over the n/s rear lamp cluster and all looks good... ALL (reverse. indicator & brake) lights working.
The car is mint and very original... less than 14K miles on the clock.
Anyone got any ideas where I might start looking for the short please???
The side/headlight switch feels less than precise and I wondered whether it might be the cause... new one on the way just in case.
Wee 'Gurty' is sooo luuvely I didn't want to start tearing her to bits willy nilly.
Haynes Manual on the way but not with me yet.
Very grateful of any ideas....
Cheers, Andy.

id look for incorrectly fitted bulbs. dash lights are common to blow and some pandas never had light up switches, just the clocks.
check the headlights for different/LED bulbs.see if they are fine. ive not heard of earths blowing the fuses but its worth checking them. theres a "fault finding" thread in the sticky section. have a read through that

Hi there Dragon Man,
Many thanks for your tips and advice. I'll crack on with it tomorrow and see what gremlins I can find.
Cheers, Andy.

May well be that headlight switch if it feels a bit iffy. I remember having to drive home in my first Panda from Edinburgh to Stirling when I lived up there with my finger on the headlight switch because every time I let go the rear light and dash illumination went off. New switch cured it. Didn't blow a fuse that time though.

Hi and many thanks for your input.
New switch arrived today so... we shall see. Fingers crossed!
Cheers, Andy.

Back