General CV Joint

Currently reading:
General CV Joint

I suspect that my CV joint appears to have a problem. When i am turning the steering wheel to the left and starting to drive the car a "tok" noise comes from the right side wheel. I d like to ask if it is an easy job to replace a CV joint and if it needs any special tools as i am going to change also both side wishbones because i suspect also the ball joints from wishbones are corroded and when driving and falling in potholes a "clonk" sound comes from the side that the wheel fall.

you'll be replacing the wishbones so it will be easy to remove the driveshaft. you remove the rubber boot then remove the circlip and the joint comes off the shaft. you are meant to use 2 special tools, but imo you wont need them (i would use a big flat blade screwdriver to spread the circlip and then long nose pliers to pull it off). check the workshop manual (vol1) it has the procedure explained for all models in the gearbox & diff section.

Last edited:
yes its a tripod joint according to the pics. you replace everything that comes off when you remove the clip, the new joint will come with everything you need (including a packet of grease usually).

Back