Technical CV joint rubber cover leaking

Currently reading:
Technical CV joint rubber cover leaking

Oh yes, the END is less than £15 - but then there is the fitting - remember, if the 'old' one is rusted on tight...
I had that problem recently, couldn't get the tracking sorted as the tyre place couldn't crack the nut. Ended up taking the whole rod out & buying a new one (that's the end plus the rod). Even off the motor, no amount of heat & forcing would shift it.
Cost me a damned sight more than a handful of grease.
But hey, if you've got money to burn & over half a day to waste - not to mention being without your motor while it gets sorted...

I get what you're saying, I really do, but the risk/reward balance is one that I'm comfortable with. One of these days I'm actually going to buy myself a set of wishbones, tie rod ends, rack ends and all the wearing bits in the suspension and just have them sitting on the shelf waiting for the day when they might be needed, or when I fancy taking the car back to that factory fresh feeling :)

Bottom line is, the whole tie rod and end for the Audi cost £32 (for Lemforder - which is effectively genuine). So worst of the worst, you bin the lot and replace it. Not worth messing about with.

Then you assemble it properly with anti seize compound on the threads within the rod end.

Bottom line is, the whole tie rod and end for the Audi cost £32 (for Lemforder - which is effectively genuine). So worst of the worst, you bin the lot and replace it. Not worth messing about with.

Then you assemble it properly with anti seize compound on the threads within the rod end.
The silly thing is that we're talking about tie rods/rack ends and you know what? Fiat don't even sell them for the 500, you have to buy the whole bloody rack!

Doesn't mean you can't get them elsewhere though!

http://seekpart24.com/lemfoerder/axial-joint-tie-rod-3409901?c=100198&at=19093

http://seekpart24.com/trw/axial-joint-tie-rod-jar1026?c=100198&at=19093

http://seekpart24.com/febi/axial-joint-tie-rod-22959?c=100198&at=19093

Yep. TRW will be OE as it's a Delphi rack/column.
Yup, I remember when I changed a co-workers flat tyre for them on their Ka, it had TRW tie rod ends on it. Think only a few people have had issues with them on here so doubt they'll be a big problem area. Top mounts and wishbones however......

Oh yes, the END is less than £15 - but then there is the fitting - remember, if the 'old' one is rusted on tight...
I had that problem recently, couldn't get the tracking sorted as the tyre place couldn't crack the nut. Ended up taking the whole rod out & buying a new one (that's the end plus the rod). Even off the motor, no amount of heat & forcing would shift it.
Cost me a damned sight more than a handful of grease.
But hey, if you've got money to burn & over half a day to waste - not to mention being without your motor while it gets sorted...

True enough :) Hell, I'm the sort of person who is probably going to go out and buy a rack end and both tie rod ends and have them sitting at home waiting till they're needed :)

Let us know how it goes. (y)
After engine oil change Abarth service had a look at this problematic rubber cover. It seems that during assembly process in a factory there was some grease left between CV joint and rubber - exactly in a place where metal band holds it to beginning of CV joint. They also clamped metal band tighter so this should help. I have to observe it so we will see if it leaks in a few hundred kilometers.

They also clamped metal band tighter so this should help. I have to observe it so we will see if it leaks in a few hundred kilometers.

After clamping metal band the grease was still going out so I booked another service visit. Today they changed rubber cover and both metal bands. It seems that the problem is finally solved :)

Back