Technical croma dies after a km. Check engine on

Currently reading:
Technical croma dies after a km. Check engine on

Andraz3d

hi everyone. I need some pretty fast help with my Croma problem.

after a 300 km trip, a Check engine light came on, stayed on. After around one km of normal driving, car somehow managed to almost kill the engine. I cannot get pass around 1800 RPM, meaning I can't really get beyond 40 kmh. If I turn off the engine, all is back to normal for a kilometer or so (light is still on). Then same thing happens.

I took the car to the closest fiat shop, they blinded the Egr, cleaned boost pressure sensor, nothing worked. I towed my car 100km back home and now I am trying to find out if there is something I can do. I managed to unscrew EGR to clean it tomorrow (still haven't managed to unscrew bottom pipe and those 5 torxes, they are stuck totally), but I am a bit scarred if cleaning both parts of Egr will actually help. Blinding didn't!

any ideas? much obliged. btw, I have a 8v jtd, manual.

What code it came up with?
Did the garage even read codes?

hi, thanks for responding.

the guys did diagnostics, but I did not ask for details, like the error code. Sorry.

Take a bit of time and look through the old topics. you are sure to find a similar fault reported by someone else.

Really need the error codes to start diagnosing proper. Any decent garage will have a code reader and some don't charge for it if you have some work done.

will try to get them asap.

many thanks. will report the results if I find something out.

reporting back.

I cleaned egr, the mechanical part. It was dirty, but it still moved. I also drilled a whole in the back of the plastic electronic part of the egr, but I was not able to open it. tried real hard though.

Car works like a charm now, but the check engine light is still on. This bring me to 2 possible conclusions: either the problem is still there, but not as severe; or I will need to reset the computer. Any suggestions?

I would expect an ECU reset is required. I recently had a new EGR and that required a reset. I put a free version of FiatEcuScan on the old laptop, and bought a cable which was a bit dear at £20, but it worked. Some errors will disappear after several restarts.

Hi guys

error is gone, after 3 driving cycles. Exactly as Dave said.

Keithglos, since we all own fiats here, buying diagnostic gear would really makes sense on the long run :). I guess should look into getting the cable and software.

reporting back.

I cleaned egr, the mechanical part. It was dirty, but it still moved. I also drilled a whole in the back of the plastic electronic part of the egr, but I was not able to open it. tried real hard though.

I drilled away the 3 securing dents (centre points, see picture) with a dril of about 4 mm before I took out the core. A few hits with hammer and punch and out it went. I must admid the solenoid was only 3 years old.

Attachments

• EGRValve1.jpg
    EGRValve1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 29
Back