Technical Croma 2.4 auto gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Croma 2.4 auto gearbox

Benmondo77

Hi guys. I'm having a few issues with my croma 2.4 gearbox. I know it needs a rebuild as it's flair shifting, it's also got a vibration in 4th 5th and 6th in the higher rev range and growling noise at the lower rev range (below 1500rpm) in 4th 5th and 6th.

I'm pricing up my options rebuild or second hand. As the 2.4 is a rare beast in the U.K. Second hand there aren't many options. There is a second hand one on German ebay but it's a tad dear. Does anybody know if the 159 2.4 q-tronic box is the same. The part numbers aren't the same on my eper. But my version is out of date. The 1.9 16v croma autobox is the same as 159 1.9 16v.

I'm sort of stuck as I love the car and it the last year it's had a new turbo, recon cylinder head, egr, new brakes all round, 4 shocks and springs and 4 new tyres. I'm in so deep I have to fix it one way. I'm hoping somebody on hear can help.

Ben

The flair shifting is the valve block,i bet the noise is lash in the diff.I also think the 5 pot sets of a vibration in the transmission area.Mine did/does do all that.Sorted the flair shift with a new valve block,the noise is still there,its as if it holds on the gears to long.But it has always done the noise.Try a flush as the linear solinoids within the valve block get covered in iron filings and jams them causing flairs.Were supposed to be doing Spain with the van next year so im going to rip mine out and knock it to bits to access it.

Thanks for the reply. If it is diff back lash it's very noisy. But why would it only do this in 4th 5th and 6th. Did you change the valve body with the gearbox still in as it looks fairly tight. I know the gearbox removal is engine out. I was also wondering if the insignia or astra j gearbox internals are the same as I don't mind buying one and swapping it into my casings. If you google search insignia af40 growling noise there is a software update to fix this.
Also the gearbox has been flushed 3 times now and hasn't made any difference
Ben

Changed the valve block in situ,quite an easy job really.One thing i noticed when the valve block was changed was when decending hills it now changes down gears on its own to retard itself,this to me is really useful for towing dutys.As for the noise it seems like its the same issue ive always had.Mine has done it since 30k when i bought it.I think its some sort of trait with having the 5 potter and holding on to the gears for so long.We spoke about this in depth a good few years ago.I strongly believe if there were any internal faults surely it would show itself on a gearbox flush in the form of debris.

I might have to take a closer look inside my gearbox when I get a chance. I know it's gonna need a valve body. With the noise, has anybody had there croma remapped? If so has it made a difference with the auto gear changes? (Making it in sport mode all the time?) Buster can you hear your noise over the radio? I'm in two minds about selling it and I can't sell a car with a fault on it. Don't worry my heart is with a fiat. I have had my uno turbo for 20 years.

If the radio is on normal volume then yes.It becomes like a vibration noise.Ive had mine remapped.Twice.Egr delete and blanked,dpf delete,swirlflaps removed and manifold chemically cleaned.Garrett gtb2056v turbocharger conversion.Gearbox changepoints seem fine.

Back