Technical Croma 1.9 16v engine running

Currently reading:
Technical Croma 1.9 16v engine running

Hi,
Can anybody help me please.......... my recently purchased croma is running fine except that when I am going along it judders slightly just before I accelerate. It sounds like the engine mounting rubbers squeak and there is a momentary hesitation before the revs pick up. It is most noticeable when I am doing about 40mph. I have the Multi ecu scan software and noted that the injector correction seems to vary between all the injectors.
Is there anything that springs to mind - before I take it to someone that will no doubt want to open my wallet!

Cheers

Hi Dave - No loss of of power, just two judders and a squeaking that I think is the engine rocking on the rubbers. It seems to do it in the region of 30 to 50mph. Nothing noticeable at higher speeds.

Sorry to be a doughnut, but is that the EGR?
I did clean it and also removed a blanking plate that had been fitted. Also had to sort out the valve on the end of the inlet manifold as that was throwing up a fault. Still seemed to make no difference.

The boost sensor is on the back of the inlet manifold, in the middle. It's held on with one torx bolt. It could be the swirl flaps on the inlet manifold. Also have you put a decent fuel cleaner through it? BG244 is a popular choice.
Was the EGR blanking plate solid, or did it have a hole in it? If it's solid and you didn't get an 'insufficient flow' error message, then it's probably been deleted in the ECU and you would be better off leaving it in place! Hope this helps.

I have heard that the swirl flaps could be an issue - how easy is it to get to them?
The blanking plate was solid and the reason why the engine management light had come on. Once I had removed it and cleared the error, all seemed fine.
Thanks for some tips!

Might be a red herring but the mention of vibration at 40mph (ish) made me think it could be the drivers side drive shaft . I`ve done it to death on another thread so if you want to have a look:) A quick look on the inside of the engine undershield will show if there is a pile of grease below the centre joint. This was how mine showed where the problem was.

Hi all,
not sure it is the drive shaft owing to the way it seems to act only when the car is driving and just before acceleration - will have a look at it anyway though.
The car has done 137k, although it has been serviced regularly at some expense (by the previous owner) at main dealers.

It only normally occurs on acceleration ~ 40mph not on braking through 40mph or just "freewheeling " ~ 40mph. It can also be worse on acceleration thro corners more one way than the other.

Having just checked, there are no swirl valves! Seems strange! It is a 16V ! Is it possible that Fiat changed the manifold owing to issues with the swirl valve assembly?

Could this be the reason why I have the strange judder?

Send me a PM with your TYPE CODE & CHASSIS number and I'll look on the last ePER and a) check current part number and b) part number history and I'll also see the exact production date of your car.

I doubt very much Fiat removed the swirl valves. Are you sure you are looking in the right place i.e. over the back side of the engine down by the glow plugs?

Thanks for that car info and yes your 2007 Croma does look it has no swirl valves. The parts list for your chassis number basically shows the removal of several items including the swirl valve actuator.

How odd. I was wrong about Fiat not removing the swirly valves unless they are cunningly integrated, with actuator etc. into the new manifold.

Least you can now possibly forget about swirl valves. Shame I don't have access to a Croma MkII eLearn worhshop manual as they should have updated the tecnical info / operation for the MkII Croma.

Tis a real bad Forum day for me. This is the second time within the space I had to retract/change my position. Hope my credibility is not dent toooooo much :)

Last edited:
Tis a real bad Forum day for me. This is the second time within the space I had to retract/change my position. Hope my credibility is not dent toooooo much :)

Don't beat yourself up - I'm only suspicious of advice if it comes from someone who claims they're never wrong.

Drove a friend home today and he wondered if it was something to do with the Turbo / EGR?
I took the blanking plate - no holes in it, out of the EGR. It was put in by a garage and that was causing the EML to come on. Cleared the faults and it has run fine since - except the stutter.
It is just an annoying fault but one that doesnt seem to be affecting the car greatly...........
One other strange thing is that the car doesn't have an engine cover and when I found one on fleebay, the fixing points line up for two holes but the other two dont seem to exist on the engine (or are already locating some bracket or other)............:confused:

Back