Technical Creaking/knocking from front

Currently reading:
Technical Creaking/knocking from front

Ian Cleasby

Hi, my Weekend 20v has developed a noise from front suspension, best described as a creaking noise - like a creaky door being opened in a horror movie, or a ball bearing rolling down a bumpy surface. A friend reckons it's the driveshafts, does this sound right? Not the drop links, I know that sound well; they've just been replaced. Front wishbones were replaced last year & the rollbar about 3 years ago. It's most noticable when turning, but I can create it by rocking the car when it's parked up - surely the driveshafts wouldn't creak if the wheels aren't turning?

Regards, Ian

Would that be what the manual calls the shock absorber top plate? Anyway to narrow it down between these & the cv joints without stripping it down? Not too familiar with fwd & struts - mostly had rwd & double wishone front suspension.

Thanks, Ian

surely the driveshafts wouldn't creak if the wheels aren't turning?
i agree, CV joints are unlikely in this situation.

open the bonnet and remove the black plastic cover from the top of the strut, then squirt plenty of wd40 on the top of the strut. see if it has any effect on the noise. this is easier than removing the strut only to find it is not the cause of the noise.

Back