Technical Couple of questions about changing timing belt etc

Currently reading:
Technical Couple of questions about changing timing belt etc

My Ducato is a 2016 F1AE3481D 2.3 130 Multijet. The timing tool kit I have has two Cam locking pins which measure 10mm diameter. These fit the camshafts perfectly. They are quite precise, slight rocking of the cams is required to allow the pins to drop into their respective holes. The holes in the cam covers which have the removable plugs screwed in, are also 10mm diameter, so when the pins are in place there is no movement. Why there seems to be a difference is a puzzle to me as the genuine Fiat tool number 99360614 is constant across many years. All I can think is that occasionally there may be pins made by cheap producers which are very slightly oversize and are not a good fit???

Hi Tiger, we have the same engine (mine is 2013), so it is a little confusing.
Others have found the same problem.

The cam locking pins will not even allow me to screw them in because the pins simply will not push/drop in far enough to allow thread engagement. I measured the pins with a simple gauge, which showed 10mm, and no amount of wiggling or engine movement would make any difference.
I removed probably close to 1mm of material from one pin and it now fits ok, there is virtually zero cam movement, so I'm happy, although I also believe that my cam-locking pins are also too long, as even when fully engaged they do not drop in all the way to the circlip.

Anyway, all good so far. The new belt kit should arrive tomorrow, so I've cleaned up the whole engine bay above and below ready for re-assembly.

Buycarparts.co.uk is where I bought the (Gates) belt kits, and they have been so slow. A week and a half so far, then I discovered the bits were coming from Germany!!!!!! If only I had known.

I too bought my parts from the same supplier, Germany, whole kit belt/waterpump etc. I also bought the Aux belts. I am an engineer and wanted to understand exactly what was happening with the pins/cams so did some measuring to reassure myself. I first rotated the engine until the holes in the cams were visible. I could see and feel a slight step indicating the holes were not EXACTLY in line. I removed the circlip from the pin and removed it from the part that screws into the cam cover (the collar), this allowed me to see/feel clearly what was happening. With slight rocking I got the pins to drop into the holes. I measured the height of the pins once dropped into the holes and then again when resting on the cam. I then slipped the collars that screw into the cam covers back over the pins and screwed them into place. The circlips do not rest on top of the collars when the pins are full engaged, a gap underneath, which confirms what you described. However, by doing these measurements, I was able to satisfy myself that when I could see the pins resting at the correct height all was well. When I slipped the collars back over the pins and screwed them into place, they were fairly tight, not so much that they needed force to screw in, just a little more than finger pressure. I came to the conclusion that if the pin/collar assembly is fitted as one, that is screwing the collar in place and engaging the pin to the cam at the same time, it could be more difficult. I also came to the conclusion that as the pins were a close fit in both the cam cover and the hole in the cam, the screw-in collars were in fact unnecessary, I could feel the pins engage, drop the correct amount and lock with no movement. With the cams in the correct position and the pins dropped into place, I then removed the pins and offered up a 9mm pin to the holes. The pins dropped into place with an obvious loose feel, allowing me to rock them. As you can imagine, if the 10mm pins slid into place then there would obviously be some play when using a 9mm pin in their place. I thought I would pass this on because it might help others who decide to do the job and are a little confused by differing feed back. In summary it appears to me that is very unlikely that these engines differ, particularly as the part numbers for the Fiat tools remain the same. However, the genuine tools may be manufactured to higher specifications and subsequently fit as intended. The various aftermarket tools are probably of lower quality, and bearing in mind the accuracy required for alignment, are a poor fit. This would explain why some people have found that reducing the pin size simply by polishing has helped, whereas others have needed to reduce the pin size by a greater amount in a lathe.

I also believe that my cam-locking pins are also too long, as even when fully engaged they do not drop in all the way to the circlip.

They aren't intended to drop into the cam all the way to the circlip. The length of the pin is determined so that you can locate it in the cam before screwing the collar into the threads in the cover, so when the collar is fully threaded the length of pin projecting should be roughly the height of the threaded collar. It also means that you can unscrew the collar and grip it fully to pull the pin out again.

90 Nm according to X250 eLearn

130 Nm +/- 6.5 according to X290 tech info and Iveco F1A engine manual.

Check the grade marking on your bolt head. If it's 10.9 or higher, 130 Nm will be fine.

Completed the job last weekend, no problems.

Tricky bits:-

Getting the timing cover on/off in such a narrow gap.
Getting the large aux belt back on - needed max deflection of the tensioner.

Noted point:-

Didn't loosen the camshaft sprocket. I noticed (on a video) that the sprocket has a locating dowel, so it's position can't be changed more than a tiny amount, and once the new belt was fitted, engine turned by hand more times than I care to mention, everything lined up perfectly anyway.

Ran it for an hour or so, no problems. Runs sweet as ever did.

Didn't use a special tool for the stretchy air-con belt. Just held it by hand on the crank sprocket while I turned the engine with my ratchet, and rolled the new belt around until seated, just like the special tool does.

So, all told, major service carried out including timing belt. Saved myself hundred of quid, and gained a few special tools into the bargain.

Thanks for your help and advice guys.

Back