Cotton Poplin?

Currently reading:
Cotton Poplin?

I'm looking to order some new trousers online, which say they are 100% Cotton, but then in the description they say "Cotton Poplin".

Does anyone know what that is?

I've been trying to find a decent pair of combat trousers for ages, but most of the ones I find have this "plastic" feel to them, even though they are cotton.

Basically, I want something that feels similar to a pair of "Gap" Chinos - not something which feels water resistant (if you get what I mean).

Will I be safe with this "Poplin"?

It gives it a kind of sheen that makes it easier to iron so it may appear kind of 'waterproof' depending on how much of it they used. Think easy iron shirt and how different that feels to regular cotton.

The difference between an easy iron shirt and a 100% pure cotton one that you could put the easy iron one in the dryer and possibly get away without ironing it. Whereas the 100% pure cotton one would be creased to hell and need a hot iron, steam, starch and time to get the creases out.

No it isn't "plasticy". You are thinking of finishes that are sometimes put on to fabrics to make them easier to iron and can feel quite "slick". If it says cotton poplin, then it is only 100% cotton, but the weave may be slightly ribbed. If the cotton is quite fine though, you will not really notice the rib in it, and the only effect as Fiona says is a beneficial one. Are there no pics of the trousers?

The difference between an easy iron shirt and a 100% pure cotton one that you could put the easy iron one in the dryer and possibly get away without ironing it. Whereas the 100% pure cotton one would be creased to hell and need a hot iron, steam, starch and time to get the creases out.

So-called easy iron, or "no-iron" is achieved either by having a blend of cotton and polyester (the more the polyester, the eaier to iron, but less comfortable to wear - especially in hot and humid climates). 100% cotton casn be made easier to care for, but it depends on having either high grade cotton, a fine weave, and usually a chemical finish as well which washes out with subsequent washes.
Hope this helps!

Back