General cost of maintainence

Currently reading:
General cost of maintainence

switch123

Hi all :)

I have a 2001 punto 1.2 8v, in the last year I have had to replace
wiper linkages
tyres
headlights (working but front plastic was misty so more aesthetic than maintainence)
thermostat
clutch at 104k
is this too much to go wrong or is it general maintainence on any car of this age?
I probably average £100 a month on car costs.

I feel your pain... I had a similar experience, but don't forget these aren't usual routine repairs so with a bit of luck much of that wont need to be replaced for as long as you own it...

apart from the wiper linkages (which are a known problem) and the thermostate that is all normal stuff

tyres particularly

and as you said, headlights weren't absolutely necessary so they dont count

Punto at 104k is on its last legs you should have sold it on before the clutch fubard.

Headlights are easy fix using very fine wet and dry, while wet rub it down for an hour or so then when dry polish in keeping wet tcut this will be ever so slightly abrasive but when done buff it up and good as new for a few months anyhow.

Wiper Linkages are dog**** on these cars and even the replacements from wipex dont last. Problem is even if you grease them good they are dry again within a month of bad weather totally crap design, no weather protection at all.

hi all, i def know your pain on the cost mines now at 108k, but i love it does everything i need it to, its not to bad to run fuel wise for a ful tank i can get 350 out of it, but in the last year ive had alot to fix and replace

gear box
head gasket
rocker cover gasket
exhauste
cam belt
timing belt
coil packs
ignition leads
plugs
brake pads and disc's
seals on the drive shaft

some of these i know are on going ie brakes etc but every car gets to the point when it needs a bit of loving or its the scrap heap. You just have to decied if its worth repairing and how much you can do your self.

Clutches and tyres are just one of the hazards of motoring i had an unlucky run when i first got my punto of needing 3 tyres in as many weeks because of keep getting punctures, wiper linkage is a common fault and one you can't predict (its been a problem on mine but I found an easy short term fix) and the thermostat seems to have gone on everyones car this winter, just look through the past few months threads, a new one can be bought for about £20 though (unlike my 1.3 multijet which is apparently £60 for a thermostant grrrr)
and the lights you brought on your self.

all in all its just been a crap motoring year, but consider yourself lucky, a good friend of mine spent £15k on a TVR Chimaera which in the year following cost him a further £5k in repairs that year he spent more time driving a ford fiesta loan car than his beloved TVR, eventually he took the hint and sold it replacing it with a Alfa romeo Brera

on a side note i wouldn't call 104k miles past it and having done the clutch and thermostat you should have a good few years of trouble free motoring (fingers crossed)

Back