Technical Coolant temp sensor

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant temp sensor

Can I remove the actual cts from the plastic body it fits into with a 22mm spanner despite the plastic lugs stopping me?

Can I remove the actual cts from the plastic body it fits into with a 22mm spanner despite the plastic lugs stopping me?
Only because I've drained the system and just realised I don't have the correct sensor plus housing!
I would've thought the plastic lock lugs are just to make you buy a whole new unit and not just the sensor?
They must be very similar in how they're made?

Well, in the end, it has to seal the place you put it in. Otherwise, you'll loose coolant besides the sensor. So that's what you should really worry about: after you manage to put a new sensor into the old plastic housing (if you can manage that), will it be able to seal the system?!

Well, in the end, it has to seal the place you put it in. Otherwise, you'll loose coolant besides the sensor. So that's what you should really worry about: after you manage to put a new sensor into the old plastic housing (if you can manage that), will it be able to seal the system?!
I've ordered the whole housing. I can live with the cost of the antifreeze I'll have to top up just to be on the safe side.

I've ordered the whole housing. I can live with the cost of the antifreeze I'll have to top up just to be on the safe side.
the built in thermostat with lugs cannot be removed. You replace the thermostat and the small section of inlet manifold. Once the bolts are removed around the housing that section can be gently knocked downwards to get it out without removing the entire manifold

the built in thermostat with lugs cannot be removed. You replace the thermostat and the small section of inlet manifold. Once the bolts are removed around the housing that section can be gently knocked downwards to get it out without removing the entire manifold
Do I need to remove all the pipes/wires etc above the sensor to get to the bolts to remove it?

There's no way to get to the bottom bolt head with the wiring in the way. What do I have to remove to be able to unbolt the cts housing??

Attachments

• 20230124_121316.jpg
    20230124_121316.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
There's no way to get to the bottom bolt head with the wiring in the way. What do I have to remove to be able to unbolt the cts housing??
I tried this on my 16V car. With the battery in place and me only able to get one hand in there I was about 1cm off from getting on that bolt with an 11mm socket with short extension but the wiring is in the way for sure. Maybe it could be forced away with the battery out. So I was coming at the bolt from the back of the engine compartment and working through that mass of pipes and stuff. There is a bolt holding that plastic clip with the paper label which should help free things up. Just releasing that clip might do it. you might have to put a thick screwdriver in the gap and carefully open it and then it just clips back in place.

Last edited:
I think I removed this plastic cover (held in by 1 nut and 1 screw).
And I could very easily access the bolts using this kind of tools...

Attachments

• 20230126_140821.jpg
    20230126_140821.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230126_140439.jpg
    20230126_140439.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Back