Technical Coolant leakage around the expansion tank cap

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant leakage around the expansion tank cap

Hey boys,

I've been noticing some coolant spill/leakage around the cap on the expansion tank on my 2013 Punto Supersport and was wondering if anyone had the same happening to them.

I'm thinking bad cap, since the engine doesn't overheat and the fan seems to turn on/off with no issues. I've also checked both oil and coolant cap and there's definitely no sign of a potential mix of fluids.

Any pointers? I'm getting the car to my mechanic to check it asap and sure hope it's just a bad cap.

Last edited:
Update: Went to my mechanic and he did what I was thinking about: replacing the cap for a new one. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again, otherwise it'll have to be investigated.

Funny thing is, this car usually only gets used on weekend thrashes or sometimes during the week in a urban environment.
Has done some long-ish trips this year at higher than normal motorway speeds and I've never noticed any dripping of sorts. This must've happen recently in the city in stop-go traffic.

Attached is the pic of the leakage, for anyone interested.

I honestly have a hard time believing this could be the start of a bad head gasket, and so does my mechanic.

Attachments

• 20191112_080033.jpg
    20191112_080033.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 86
Hi.

That sounds sorted :)

Tbh.. m.way speeds might wick little drips away..so you just wouldnt see them ;)

Reinforces the benefits of regular checks..well done.

P.s. In all of my headgasket failures..
I've yet to have it pumped past the cap.

Genrally blown through the cylinders..
..apart from a matrix failure .. bolk of that was in drivers footwell :eek:

Charlie

Well, sure hope it is indeed sorted. I'll keep checking everytime after I go for a drive though, just for peace of mind.
But for what's it's worth, drove like 4h yesterday with lots of city traffic and some high speed stints on the motorway and no leakages.

Pinched the radiator hose and it gives in even when the engine is hot and running, so that's a good sign there's no overpressure building up.

Back