Technical Coolant leak from front of engine stub

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant leak from front of engine stub

I've noticed I've been losing coolant. Just noticed that there is a very small leak coming from the stubby little pipe which connects from the front right hand side of the engine as I look at it. This stubby little pipe appears to screw into the block, then hooks up to the bottom of the coolant reservoir. I'm not certain whether it is a dodgy connection between the stubby pipe and block or the pipe and the rubber hose. I'm thinking I'm going to unscrew the stubby pipe, then PTFE tape it and screw it back in. Then I'm going to refit it all up using lovely new jubilee clips. Anyone got any experience of coolant leaks from this pipe?

Cheers

Andy

How do, having had a look at the picture there, I think it may well be the stubby pipe which has the hex nut base just above screw number 12 as shown. It isn't numbered in your diag, but seems to look like it is part of the lower of the two large pieces.

Another view for you Andy..

2062156.jpg

But if it is the stub you pointed us to and it definitely does screw in then I am wondering why its leaking..Question..:) can you make out if its leaking from around the thread of the stub..[supposingly if it screws in] or from the hose its self around the area where the hose fits to the stub..the hose might possible have a split etc to it and that where the leak is coming from..:chin:

Not having dealt with this one before so its very much supposition but i would think the stub [if threaded] would have been fitted with some kind of sealant or thread lock..if you decide to remove the stub be very careful in case you damage the stub or even worse the head its self if its tapped into the head..you will need to drain off some coolant anyway before you proceed but if it does come out then I dont see any reason why you couldnt use PTFE tape to re seat and seal the stub back in..let us know how you get on..

Last edited:
only a guess..but plastic thread is normally made with little clearance (or even negative) so as to create an air/water tight seal (even without any compound) if it is indeed leaking from the thread then i'd be guessing someone has not fitted it correctly (i.e. last service or belt change) damaging the plastic thread.. :eek: = new bottle or the excellent suggestion above (PTFE rulez :D) but you will be getting all the bits out regardless (let us know how you get on pls)

alt: it could be that you just need to tighten the nut :D

Last edited:
I've been about 45 miles since I replaced the jubilee clip with a new one, there are no leaks and the coolant level has stayed constant. I've also noticed that the engine temp is staying a might higher, it still needs a new stat but the additional pressure in the pipework seems to be helping, no idea why!

Back