Technical Convert 4 speed to 5 speed

Currently reading:
Technical Convert 4 speed to 5 speed

net_hippy

Lord of the Manor
I had a search for this but couldn't find anything.

I was just wondering, would it be possible to convert my 4 speed 1989 1000CL to a 5 speed? Is this a big job?

I don't plan on doing it anytime soon, just curious really as I see more motorway miles in my future so it would be good to know if this was a possibility.

I believe it's just a matter of swapping the 5 speed to a 6 speed (should inc reverse so I've been told :confused:, mechanical engineering for you :p :eek:)

Not sure if there were any 6 speed rod gearboxes though, or if they were all cabled? As I think it's when they changed from rod to cable that they changed from 5 to 6 speed. Except the 4x4's iirc (y)

Find a 5 speed box from a 1000S and it is a straight swap for the 1000CL's 4 speed, no other alterations required.
Rgds.

Brilliant, thanks.

Does it have to be from a 1000S then or are there any other models that it can be taken from. What sort of costs would be involved in getting this done in a garage?

Brilliant, thanks.

Does it have to be from a 1000S then or are there any other models that it can be taken from. What sort of costs would be involved in getting this done in a garage?

I would've thought it could come from any FIRE engined Panda running a 5 speed box, with the exception of 4x4 models and possibly later Pandas (didn't they change to cable gearboxes?)

You could also get a 5 speed gearbox from a mk1 Uno 45S FIRE (1986 - 1989), though you'll be hard pressed to find one these days. And no, you can't have the 'box from mine!

Edit: As for costs, it will be the same as a clutch change as the 'box has to come off for that. Take your 'new' 5 speed 'box with you and ask the garage to swap them when doing the clutch, which makes sense to change that whilst the 'box is off. You can take the opportunity to clean it up before you take it in and have a sparkly gearbox under your bonnet. This is what mine looked like after a good clean :)

Attachments

• DSCF0023.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I would've thought it could come from any FIRE engined Panda running a 5 speed box, with the exception of 4x4 models and possibly later Pandas (didn't they change to cable gearboxes?)

You could also get a 5 speed gearbox from a mk1 Uno 45S FIRE (1986 - 1989), though you'll be hard pressed to find one these days. And no, you can't have the 'box from mine!

Edit: As for costs, it will be the same as a clutch change as the 'box has to come off for that. Take your 'new' 5 speed 'box with you and ask the garage to swap them when doing the clutch, which makes sense to change that whilst the 'box is off. You can take the opportunity to clean it up before you take it in and have a sparkly gearbox under your bonnet. This is what mine looked like after a good clean :)

Sexy time! its nice (Borat right?...) :eek:

Last edited:
No problem ....I've done that before in my first Panda...it's lovely to have 5th gear!!

Watch out if you get a 5 speed Uno box, the mounting on the end is different to the Panda's and won't go... (the mount is on the front, as seen in 1986Uno45S's photo, rather than the top as on a Panda). The gearbox needs to be partially stripped to change the casting for the mount which isn't particularly easy, and probably not worth the hassle...

Also the later Panda's gearboxes (after 1993 I think) are cable change and won't go without a fair bit of extra work, not sure how much but the cables run inside the car rather than the rods underneath on the earlier box. Easier to look out for an earlier 5 speeder.

MEP, they are definitely 4 and 5 speed, reverse doesn't count ;)

Back