General Considering to join the 500 family but with a high mileage car. Is it wise?

Currently reading:
General Considering to join the 500 family but with a high mileage car. Is it wise?

I read it somewhere on forums...

You think 300k miles is proper number for the JTD in the 500?

So the timing chain is not a life long, what is the mileage expectancy out of it than?

The diesel engine has a life expectancy of 160.000 miles...

Fia may not be 'far off'. Not too sure how accurate this reference is (Click here)...

Suffice it to say that the 1.3 Multijet 16V is designed for a life of 250,000 km, instead of the usual 150,000 - a long life,

I would have thought it would have been around 200K miles travelling primarily on a motorway. If it was the 1.6MJ as in the OH's MiTo it would probably last about 250K miles but the M32 gearbox would probably need an overhaul at least twice in it's life. It may also come down to how strict the NCT / MOTs are - they are getting tigher on what comes out the back exhaust. Also getting past 10 years on modern day cars with airbag, etc. is becoming an issue for some. The gearbox on the 500 MJ I has only got the 'standard' C514 (150Nm) whilst the MJ II has the C514R (190Nm). Would expect the later gearbox to last the life of the engine.

It will come down to how it's driven and the frequency of oil changes particularly early on it's life. Stop start driving has a remarked effect on the 'life of the engine' not to mention driving hard from cold.

If you really want an engine to last buy new or nearly new and be careful who you 'lend' the car to.;)

In relation to the timing chain - I don't know why Madrat's timing chain didn't last any longer than 70K miles. Hopefully an explanation will be forthcoming.:devil:

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

The Diesel engine in the 500 isn't the JTD.

And as he says, the 1,3 was designed for a 'life' of 250,000km.

Anyway, loveshandbags is entirely right. Longevity isn't only down to the engine; all the other bits have to keep up, and they don't!

Most cars should be able to go for ten years given normal usage, by which I mean regular servicing and reasonably careful driving. Yes, there will always be those who don't come out in winter and treat their cars like they are on life support, but for me and many others the car is just a tool to assist in the process of living, like a fridge or a washing machine :eek:

Sorry those of you who 'love' your cars :D

My car is now nine years old and beginning to need bits replacing. "What's that noise" is now a reality, and I don't like it.

Consequently i am looking at a replacement.

Timing chains tend to get rattly before they fail, and this is good. When a belt goes it takes everthing with it; not good!

Just drive your cars sensibly, use the A/C regularly and get them properly serviced. But don't expect them to go on forever... :)

Back