Composite/Scart cable issue with PS3

Currently reading:
Composite/Scart cable issue with PS3

muppet42

by name and by nature
Just wondering if anyone on hear knows anything about this before I put a random topic on the AVForums or similar.

Basically, had my PS3 pretty much from launch in '07 so it's the 60gb variety. Recently over the last few months, I've had this issue (mainly when watching vids though also happens on the XMB) that the signal will for a split second be lost and the screen will sort of pop from the default 16:9 and sort of reset itself. Have heard of a black screen being described via Google sources, but this can last seconds when my issue lasts literally the blink of an eye.

Tried the composite connections on the front and then went back to the scart at the rear and it's happening with both. Even swapped my PS2 cable for the original PS3 (both the same anyways) and it still happened. Have checked the display settings on the PS3, all is well.

So I'm wondering if any other PS3 owners have had the same problem? Thinking it could be just a SD issue and if I swap to the HDMI things would be fine. It's an intermittent issue and hasn't (yet) affected any games. Just don't want to send my PS3 off to Sony nor do I want to get the crappy slim variety.

Cheers. Weirdly it's improved since I swapped back to the scart connection at the back, which I thought was the original issue as it's a bit loose on my Panasonic. Had been affecting the sound on occasion, which was why I initially thought it was the scart connection rather than anything else that was causing the picture signal problem.

As said, reading up on it it doesn't seem to be present on HDMI. Just don't fancy spending a few hundred on a new telly just yet so I can use said HDMI :D

if you have a monitor just use that buy yourself an hdmi to vga cable with the sound ouputs its a little cheaprer than a new hd tv anyway :D and in hidef

abyss113 said:
if you have a monitor just use that buy yourself an hdmi to vga cable with the sound ouputs its a little cheaprer than a new hd tv anyway :D and in hidef

Have thought about that option in the past actually just for the heck of it - may well give it a try to see if this problem persists :) Just waiting till the Samsung 8000 series comes down in price a bit so I can get my proper large screen HD on :laugh:

prices are good for a good Full HD TV without 3d just because of the 3d got my 40" full hd last year for just shy of 400 which was good but if you want proper entertainment im using a 3D HD projector in the spare room roughly 150" on a £350 projector and yes it has a good lumens so it can be played in the day time :D

but i never had a problem using my xbox through vga on a monitor

Yeah, noticed the prices have seriously come down. Not all that fussed about 3D, think it's rather hyped to say the least and only really works with certain media. Would be interesting to try it out on GT5 though :)

Projectors sound like a good option, but it's the lamp prices of the less pricey models that put me off - similar pricing scale to ink cartridges vs new printers :p There's the LED DLP projectors but they're not exactly cheap to buy. Plus I'm not sure about how good a picture you'd get unless you had a seriously dark room though as you say, can depend on the lumens :D Guess I'd just need to actually see a home system to judge it properly :)

Think the actual projection screens themselves or that special paint you can buy are fairly cheap though as far as I remember, so is certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one of those uber huge LED TVs :) Also interested in those new 21:9 TVs coming out though again, not the cheapest of tellies :laugh:

i got an hd600x optoma for £300 with 10 hours of lamp used so still good for another 2890 hours of use and replacement buls is around the £150 mark and for a HD named projector its a good price as for the screen you can do without the whole screen thing if you want but im using a window blind from ikea :D as its a blackout blind so room is 100% dark when its closed and using the projector the room is nicely lit up with it :D as for the 3d part once the 3D xl becomes more available i can just add that to it as still very rare to get hold of and have been screwed over by a couple of companies so far with it so just gonna wait now

Sounds like a great set up, especially for that price. Could probably do something like that myself and have the blind mounted to the ceiling...hmm...possibilities :laugh: Have heard good things about Optoma's projectors, often watch Tekzilla's HD Nation programme on a Monday/Tuesday and one of the presenters raves about the good value he gets from his :)

Back