Technical Cold start idling 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Technical Cold start idling 1.2 8v

NofarGrandePunto

Hello everybody! now new here, but it is my first post.
i own 2011 Grande Punto 1.2 8v Active for 3 years now.
everytime i start the car i'm letting it idle untill the RPM drop to 1000 before starting to drive.
it takes about 4-5 minutes. doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. only cold starts.
not long after i bought the car (i'm the 4th hand) i replaced the thermostat. didn't work.
now i don't know if it's ok for it to idle for 5 minutes? or should i check sensors? to be noted - it's my first car :)
i'm kinda lost now. please help!
Nofar.

First of you shouldn’t let the car warm up

Here’s Fiats take

“Starting
Do not warm the engine with the car at a standstill or at idle or high speed: under these conditions the engine warms up much more slowly, increasing electrical
consumption and emissions. It is therefore advisable to move off immediately, slow-
ly, avoiding high speeds: this way the en- gine will warm faster.”

They start at 1200 rpm before the O2 sensors are up to temperature and drops to 750 rpm very quickly if driven. Within a few hundred yards

if it does this the car working properly

If it not it’s sticking in closed loop for too long we will need to start read the live data from the sensors to find out why but I suspect it’s actually working as it should

Oh my i didn't know that. thank you!
no disrespect, but may i ask for your source in Fiat for the information? there might be other information the could be useful to me, since i'm still learning about my precious italian.

Oh my i didn't know that. thank you!
no disrespect, but may i ask for your source in Fiat for the information? there might be other information the could be useful to me, since i'm still learning about my precious italian.
Straight out of the owners manual

5AC4B49C-09A5-42C6-9164-89FF204648D4.jpeg

Yes, drive around with a frozen window!!!

All cars here up north have these electric preheaters in them. Newer ones heat the oil sump, older ones heat the coolant at the lower coolant pipe. The car still idles high for a few minutes. There's absolutely no problem with your car and you should start driving as soon as possible. At very low temperatures -20 degrees C, I let the car idle only for a few minutes.

All cars here up north have these electric preheaters in them. Newer ones heat the oil sump, older ones heat the coolant at the lower coolant pipe. The car still idles high for a few minutes. There's absolutely no problem with your car and you should start driving as soon as possible. At very low temperatures -20 degrees C, I let the car idle only for a few minutes.
thank you very much!
i'm from Israel, which is mostly a hot country, even in winter. only at high-grounds the temperture drops to 0 degrees, but not more than -9 haha
but it's still very odd that it takes her a lot of time to warm up.(i forgot to time it, i'll do it on my next drive to be 100% sure).

It's still better for the engine to warm a bit before driving off. Straining cold ill-fitting parts is not so good for the engine. I believe the argument of driving right away is to help the mpg figures, 0 mpg must be worse than anything with a cold engine (though I believe there is an argument that warming an engine at idle will be more efficient since driving a cold engine will be really bad for mpg).

Remember car manufacturers dont want what's best for the car, only what's best for them.

It's estimated that each cold start equals to 800 kms of driving and wear to the engine. That's why I start preheating the car when temperatures are at +5 degrees C. My neighbors think I'm crazy. :LOL:

I think the damage is already done if it's not equipped with a preheater.

Back