Technical Coil question again

Currently reading:
Technical Coil question again

Meady

Hi,

Got a problem with my Stilo which I posted a while back, engine management light comes on intermittently at 75+ . Been driving at 74 for ages now. Anyway bought a fault reader which implies cylinder 2 is misfiring. Dealer changed coil for £120!!! but no luck. I've changed the plugs and have now ordered 4 champion coils in desperation and will try and do myself. :eek:

quick questions.

1) I've heard its V Simple to change these, is this right?, a 10 mm bolt and bobs your uncle, please tell me its so, cant find thread explaining how to but I'm sure its there somewhere. After finding out that changing a simple front bulb is a ******* nightmare :bang: I'm a bit worried this will be!

2) I've seen a couple of threads that say that after you change them the Engine management light comes on and eventually resets after about 20+ starts. Is this true. Its the incessant beeping thats driving me mad at the moment!!!:cry:

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out

Although no doubt that included Examiner time.

Quite right £75 for the examiner, the rest for the coil etc, although it might have been a little more I can't quite remember my head had fallen off by then :D They were then going to do another examiner at £75 etc etc .

Before I get shot down by anyone I know they have to pay 1000's for the machine etc but I thought I'd have a go myself.

It is really simple to find out what coil it is - take off engine cover, start the engine, and carefully unplug each coil in turn; the one that doesn't change the engine note is the dodgy one...

Then buy a new coil for £35, and fit it.

Cheers Stuart,

I'll try that this weekend

The problem I have is a bit bizarre, no probs under 75, over that and after about half an hour of driving the engine light/bleeper comes on reduce speed it stops again, it will also stop if I increase speed but worried about knackering something. No kangarooing no discernable feeling of power loss or rough running! I've bought 4 but will try your check see if it shows me anything. I know its overkill but I'm fed up with the beeping. If it doesnt work at least I've eliminated one potential cause

Anyway bought a fault reader which implies cylinder 2 is misfiring.
What was the code?

Dealer changed coil for £120!!! but no luck.
Didn't you ask to get the old coil put back if it didn't cure the fault?

I've changed the plugs and have now ordered 4 champion coils in desperation and will try and do myself.
1) I've heard its V Simple to change these, is this right?, a 10 mm bolt and bobs your uncle, please tell me its so, cant find thread explaining how to but I'm sure its there somewhere. After finding out that changing a simple front bulb is a ******* nightmare :bang: I'm a bit worried this will be! :eek:
How did you change the plugs without taking the coils out as well?:)
Real easy 10min job, have a look in the Stilo Guides

2) I've seen a couple of threads that say that after you change them the Engine management light comes on and eventually resets after about 20+ starts. Is this true.
3 clean starts will do.

Out of curiousity, do you have the speed limiter warning set to 70mph?

What was the code?
P0300 Which seems to mean "random/multiple cylinder misfire"
P0302 "Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected"
P0303 "Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected"

Didn't you ask to get the old coil put back if it didn't cure the fault?
Yes but effectively was told that life is cruel and it needed doing anyway and by the way changing all of them for a large fee would definitely fix it this time!
I'd lost confidence by then and was running out of money:(

How did you change the plugs without taking the coils out as well?:)
Real easy 10min job, have a look in the Stilo Guides
Thanks Deckchair looked at the link Stuart sent looks easy enough.
Did I say "I" :D I meant my local garage :eek: Too embarrased to admit I got them to do it when I had it serviced, they being about 8ft down in the engine put me off and I'm
not v experienced with cars.

3 clean starts will do.
So it wont be going at me all the way down the M way then??

Out of curiousity, do you have the speed limiter warning set to 70mph

Argonaught asked me the very same question months ago :D I wish it was that simple, (checked anyway to save embarassment) I must give off an air of stupidity ;)

Also it goes off if I increase the speed????

Simple test.
Swap coils 2 and 3 (the ones with the fault codes) to positions 1 and 4. If the faults move with them to now being on 1 and 4 then you have coil faults, if it stays on 2 and 3 then it's more likely plug faults.

What engine and mileage do you have?

yep mines still doing this to, seem to recall you had cambelt change as i did, mine only started after this, its not just roadspeed related but engine speed. still dont think its a coil problem we would get some symptoms of poor running and i dont get any.

yep mines still doing this to, seem to recall you had cambelt change as i did, mine only started after this, its not just roadspeed related but engine speed. still dont think its a coil problem we would get some symptoms of poor running and i dont get any.

I would suggest that if you have any inclination that your problem is cam belt linked ..take it back to get it checked out :)

Sorry for waiting so long to reply.

Bobcat: You are quite right I did have the belts changed as they were screeching. The fault appeared about a month later though.

Deckchair: Out of desperation I've bought 4 new coils and once I get time from ferrying the kids about to their latest social event I'm going to change all of them.Hopefully this weekend!!

Something tells me it wont make any difference.

My fault always occurs at speeds over 75mph, it doesnt seem to be that dependent on revs although short of sitting in the drive revving it, its hard to tell. Its ALWAYS kicks in at about 80mph If I slow down it stops (after a few seconds) if I speed up it nearly always stops but kicks in again eventually.

How would a cam belt change cause this sort of problem?? Wouldnt the timing be out at all speeds?

My fault always occurs at speeds over 75mph, it doesnt seem to be that dependent on revs although short of sitting in the drive revving it, its hard to tell. Its ALWAYS kicks in at about 80mph If I slow down it stops (after a few seconds) if I speed up it nearly always stops but kicks in again eventually.
Hi Meady, Just to confirm are you saying the engine management comes on at about 75mph, then goes off if you go faster but then comes on again (at what say 85/90)?

Are you also getting 3 BEEPS when this happens?

If this is true then it's an extremely odd fault :confused:

Hi Argonaught

Nope it comes on at about 78-80mph the engine light flashes continuously and beeps continuously :bang:

If I drop it back to 75mph it stops after a few secs if I take it up to 85mph more often than not it also stops although sometimes starts again after a while.

It

a) Never comes on at 75mph or lower
b) Seems to come on after I have travelled for about 20 mins on the M way, somtimes I can do 80mph for half an hour before it starts
c) there is no judder, engine noise, loss of power, just the %^$& light and beeping :bang:

Just wondering could it be something as simple as a sensor fault, although u would think it would come on all the time

As you're armed with a code reader have you considered just experimenting by swapping over plugs and coils (to see if the fault transfers to another cylinder).

A lot cheaper than buying all 4 :)

Realy only £35 for a coil, I can't find them for less than £49 anywhere for my abarth. Are we talking a different coil here?

Have a look here on this site (y)

http://www.ignitioncoil.co.uk/Products.aspx?Man=FIAT&Mod=STILO&Ser=STILO%202.4%2020V&Year=10/01%20>&BHP=125&HP=170&CC=2446&Cylinders=05&Valves=20&VID=16210&e1=192%20A2.000&e2=192A2000

And plenty of other sensors and ignition parts as well

And heres another site if thats no good

http://www.autotekelectronics.co.uk/?gclid=CIW1h9zr2Y8CFR4oEAodBXA_1w

Last edited:
Have a look here on this site (y)

http://www.ignitioncoil.co.uk/Produ...Valves=20&VID=16210&e1=192 A2.000&e2=192A2000

And plenty of other sensors and ignition parts as well

And heres another site if thats no good

http://www.autotekelectronics.co.uk/?gclid=CIW1h9zr2Y8CFR4oEAodBXA_1w

Yikes ignitioncoil.co are criminals, £52 without vat?

Autotek are a bit better but have just spent my lunch break phoning around some of the Bosch auto dealers and found them at a local place in portsmouth, Camberley Auto Factors Ltd for £32 each including vat. Which i think is about as good as its going to get, plus £16 for the super 4 plugs.
So thats £176 total for a plug and coil replacement, hope that cures the kangarooing i'm getting when its damp.

Yikes ignitioncoil.co are criminals, £52 without vat?

Autotek are a bit better but have just spent my lunch break phoning around some of the Bosch auto dealers and found them at a local place in portsmouth, Camberley Auto Factors Ltd for £32 each including vat. Which i think is about as good as its going to get, plus £16 for the super 4 plugs.
So thats £176 total for a plug and coil replacement, hope that cures the kangarooing i'm getting when its damp.

Forget the super 4's their a wast of your money just go with the straight NGK ones that's all you will need ..far better plug than Bosch

the coil packs in the fiat stilo are a factory recall! if you are doing one you will need to do them all, this sounds silly but i will guarantee that within 6 months the others will have failed. also when changing coils its always advisable to change the spark plugs at the same time.

Back