Technical Coil packs on the 2.4 engine

Currently reading:
Technical Coil packs on the 2.4 engine

cliffy71

Hi guys,just a quick couple of questions if you would be so kind ,when dealing with a faulty coil pack,can I change just the one or do I have to change them in pairs (5 cylinders I know!) Also which is no 1 cylinder ,timing belt or flywheel, thx in advance for any answers.

My asr light also come on,now I read on this forum that a faulty coil pack had caused this problem with another forum user ,why is that how can a coil pack cause the asr light to come on ,bit weird really

Hi just plugged my tester into it and alls its brought up is coolant temperature sensor ????? I thought for sure it would be a coil pack with the way its misfiring and spluttering !! Any ideas plz

Anybody got any thoughts plz ,not due in a few days !!!

First check everything is well connected. Unplug and plug everything back, even the cables below the fuse box. Does it have a misfiring code recorded??
Misfiring could also be caused due to worn spark plugs.

You can change just one coil at a time.

I would get hold of a spare coil (even a second-hand one) and try it on each cylinder in turn to see if/when the misfire disappears. As you're doing that you'll see what condition they and the leads are in. If one looks more burnt, melted, loose or dirty, then that's obviously the prime suspect.

As above, also take the plugs out and give them a clean and re-gap if necessary. New plugs aren't too dear so if yours have seen better days, just replace them.

No. 1 cylinder is the one furthest away from the gearbox.. so on the left/nect to the cam-belt as you look at it.

Ralf S.

Sorted ,new temp sensor ( that pesky sensor sure did throw up a lot of faults ) so for future reference ,a knackered coolant temperature sensor CAN cause misfire and asr/esp light to come on !

Sorry if I confused you all with the title coil packs,I was nearly sure thats what the fault was ( with the mis firing ) ,when my son eventually brought my obd reader back ! ,I found out it was coolant sensor,it does say that above mind you.I can understand the misfire,but not the asr/esp faults, has anyone got any thoughts on that .

Ahhggg !! Still misfiring ,fault code now coming up for cylinder 1 ,which end is cylinder 1 please

Thanks ralf for that ,can't find no info on the net about it,saves a lot of head scratching.
New coil pack ordered for tomorrow plus put in a new set of plugs .
B.t.w,the car dosnt misfire when driven like a baby ,just misfires when accelerating more than gentle, does that sound normal for a coil pack fault ?

Back