Clutch weirdness....

Currently reading:
Clutch weirdness....

D

Darren

Hey guys,

Had clutch changed a few k's ago and is still working fine :)

issue I have is sometimes it feels light, sometimes its heavy and sometimes it's light but has a 'step' to it half way down (press and its stiff then 'clunk' and its light for the other half)

I know it has auto adjusting clutch but all the HGT's ive owned and this JTD have always had heavy clutches and just seems weird how it can change by itself.
Any ideas?

on another note, sometimes she feels more 'alive' than others. one day she will tear boy races up, others it feels like she hasn't got the grunt behind her.
Anything I could check?
Maf was done 700miles'ish ago.

Darren

as far as it goes for the clutch, it seems like the release bearing could be slightly out of place? as it sounds similar to a problem i once had.

the performance thing your thinking about is a tricky one. have you paid attention to the time you are driving around and when the car feels at its best? for example my bravo doesnt really want to know about accelerating when its really warm, but on a colder night it picks up like a completely different car (not just a bit quicker, a LOT quicker)!!!

alternatively it may be a mechanical fault? possibly a funny throttle position sensor?

hope this helps

thanks Jords,

The clutch I can almost make lighter..
If i start the car from cold and boot it the clucth stays lighter for about 10mins, then it become heavy again, but all the bravs/mareas have had heavy clutches.

The performance used to be on colder days it would be quicker than warmer, but now it doesn't seem to matter, sometimes its more powerful and others not.
My maf was faulty for aaaages but finally got it sorted and all was well, but sometimes she just doesn't seem to want to... go...
don't get me wrong she still pulls well but it seems to take forever to get round the rev range.

scratches head

Having just driven home, I have to agree with Jords. MUCH quicker in the cold at night.

erm... it does seem to be a real fault somewhere? I can't suggest what it may be, but a guess from my previous experience would be to get a new clutch.

Do you have any idea of the make clutch that has been fitted? the cheaper ones out there for the bravo are definitely rubbish, and will lose a power and torque. I fitted one once, and did it in after 2-3 months, after having the same experiences you seem to have had.

Sorry to say, but i reckon a new clutch is in order, possibly an LUK clutch (go for aroud £80-£90 on ebay).

@paul, afraid not its a 2.4jtd so no plugs.

@jords, thanx for the ideas. The clutch was fitted around 6k ago by my local garage where I get most things done I cant be bothered to do. The clutchwas one of those uprated ones because I was (at the time) going to get her remapped. Can't remeber the name though.
The actual clutch still disengages fine and the Issues are totally random.
The bit where It 'steps half way' can not happen for weeks on end, then one day it will happen.
Its very strange.

I guess the power must be to do with humidity in the air and the air intake. When on the 5am shift she does pull better

Darren

Im definitely drawn to thinking its the release bearing as its clunking half way down the pedal and gets lighter afterwards. I would say the release bearing is to blame.

The only way i can think of checking is to wait whilst you have driven a bit in the car, and then try and listen for an unusual tap/rattle when the clutch is not pressed. Maybe even rev it as it should get a bit louder when you do.

Should you hear a noise, if it is the release bearing it should go after the clutch is fully pressed down. So basically try and hear for an unusual rattle that disappears when the clutch is down.

Hope this is of help mate, and hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

HAHAHAHA,

a strange rattle.... you do know this is a JTD with 160K on the clock? ;)
Everything rattles

the clutch doesn't seem to have any noise :-S
It doesn't always clunck though, only on rare occasions.
I was aiming towards perhaps the clutch fluid not pumping enough when she is ranted from start? It's a long shot.

Anyway, early shift this morning and she goes like a bullet... allbeit a smelly & very smokey bullet :)

Darren

seems my injector light is now playing games :(

A few weeks back my injector light kept coming on on the same downward hill every morning when I was on an early shift.
So 5:30am, same downward hill... light on.

Once the car has been parked up for a couple of hours the light goes off.
Doesn't seem to have ay issues while the light is on, no loss of power, juddering etc...

I guess the ecu would hold the information from previous errors?

I may buy myself a cable and the 3pin connector to plug it in unless any has one I could borrow?

Darren

HAHA, i did say an 'unusual' tap/rattle. Didnt want to insult your car for being a noisy diesel =).

I hope that is the case mate as it will work out cheaper. Possible it could be a leaking slave cylinder? was this changed when the clutch was done? Thats the only other thing i could think of it possibly being.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Does sound strange, the clutch on my old 20v Marea was always smooth and quite light, (for it's size) - as was a friend's 1999 Brava 1.8 of years ago.

Maybe your release bearing is leaking...