Technical Clutch switch and codes

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch switch and codes

Hello again, Yes check engine light is on, P0101 Mass or Volume airflow A circuit range / performance. Changed MAP sensor no change.
I put my code reader on my 'good' Panda (also a 1.2 8 valve, but 2 years older) and Live data shows the exact opposite readings on 02 sensors Precat reading a good steady 0.05v to 0.9v and post cat around 0.010 which I think looks about right, but I am NOT a mechanic. I have a replacement precat sensor coming Saturday. The engine also is a bit rough around 1700 to 1850rpm but good at othe revs

Your engine does not have a MAF sensor so the code you are getting is leading you down the wrong path.

Get MES and read the full code and description from MES.

MAP sensor codes are different to MAF codes

Reading this thread from the beginning may help a lot too.

Think possible extra air getting into manifold not via the throttle butterfly.

Last edited:
Thinking on could it be the CAT is no good, it is a 7 year old car with 21000 on, short runs not getting properly warmed up, and could the cat cause backpressure somehow conributing to the P0101 code ?

Try to post the map sensor pressure reading at idle when engine cold and when hot and problem occurring.

What are you using to read live data?

The p0101 code you are seeing is very likely not the full code and so is not helping you in the slightest.

Last edited:
MAP 3.6psi when fault is there, 4.9 to 5.1 tickover when not in fault. Im using a cheap basic Foxwell NT201 for live data.

MAP 3.6psi when fault is there, 4.9 to 5.1 tickover when not in fault. Im using a cheap basic Foxwell NT201 for live data.

Assuming those readings are negative pressures - it appears there is air getting into manifold when it should not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I was presuming they were positive pressures as there was no - symbol or anything next to the readings, please excuse my lack of knowledge but as I said I am no mechanic. What do you think of the 02 readings I posted ? I will take the car to our local garage (NOT main dealer) next week and see if they can do smoke test.

Thanks for the help, I was presuming they were positive pressures as there was no - symbol or anything next to the readings, please excuse my lack of knowledge but as I said I am no mechanic. What do you think of the 02 readings I posted ? I will take the car to our local garage (NOT main dealer) next week and see if they can do smoke test.
Hi,

Smoke test is a good idea ,
Plus looking at evap canister purge valve operation it may be sticking/faulty allowing to much air into inlet manifold.

Don't mix o2 sensor readings into this situation :) if you are interested your car uses a narrow band o2 sensor use that as search term if you research. By all means research what o2 S1 sensor output should be like for your car, stay away from looking at o2 s2 output it is confusing.

O2 S1 is also known as upstream o2 sensor. O2 sensors are also known as lambda sensors.

Best wishes

Jack

Just took airbox off and right out of sight (when fitted ) theres a big crack in the air box directly above the round bit that pushes onto throttle body ? the crack was open and would allow air in, I have taped it up for know got the engine really hot (fan cutting in) and so far no problem. Do you think this would cause the problem I have been having ?

Very unlikely that crack in air box has any bearing on the problems but if it could allow unfiltered air into engine make sure it stays sealed.

Hi again folks.
Well, blocking the solenoid off did the trick, no problems at idle. I received the used solenoid switch and fitted it, so far so good, had it in town and got stopped at lots of lights and no problems. Fingers crossed.
Very easy to disconnect the tube to the evap canister at the solenoid and block off the solenoid inlet to try that.
Alan.

Hi again folks.
Well, blocking the solenoid off did the trick, no problems at idle. I received the used solenoid switch and fitted it, so far so good, had it in town and got stopped at lots of lights and no problems. Fingers crossed.
Very easy to disconnect the tube to the evap canister at the solenoid and block off the solenoid inlet to try that.
Alan.
Great news :)

Just for clarity when you have a chance could you please post a picture of the solenoid valve you replaced in situ on engine. I have a feeling this problem will occur more often.

Cheers
Jack

If I can figure out how to post a picture then definitely!.
Alan.

Hello Alan, I would like to see a picture aswell in case mine isnt fixed with my cracked airbox repair, I havent even found my 'Evap' cannister yet.

Here it is. Is the one at the end of the blue line, fixed into the manifold under the MAP sensor.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Kevinpanda The evaporation canister is at the back of the car, inside the offside rear wheel arch and connected to the fuel tank. It is connected to the solenoid (at the engine end of things) by a plastic tube running the length of the car, following the same route (more or less) as the fuel line, brake pipes and exhaust pipe. The function of the canister is (perhaps surprisingly) to minimise emissions of petroleum vapour evaporating from the tank when the car is parked, and is basically a large charcoal-filled filter. (Item 1 in this diagram https://www.fiatdalys.lt/en/catalog.../ZFA31200003210975/0/0/0/fuel-emission-filter)

Last edited:
Herts Hillhopper That is correct, the charcoal canister is in the back of the car.
I've put in the previous post the pic with the solenoid valve as that was the subject of discussion, that is the one Alan changed.
Thanks... (I was answering Kevin's comment that he'd not even found the evaporation canister...)

By the way, your photo also provides the clearest view yet of the fabled 'duck bill' drain from the scuttle (the subject of many a previous post about water getting into the footwells)

Yeap, you are right, it is a clear view. I didn't even pay any attention to the duck bill drain (in the photo) untill you've mentioned it.

Thanks for the image, unfortunately mine is not there, but now I know what to look for I will try and find it in the morning, my Panda is a different year but wont be to different. Thanks again, Kevin.

Back