Technical Clutch Chatter mystery

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Chatter mystery

If you have too little movement at the pedal the damage that could happen would be that the clutch plates are still connecting drive from the flywheel as you depress the pedal and change gear. You would cause extra wear and overheating with the clutch components.

The gears will tend to be carrying on spinning with greater inertia making them more likely to crunch..more damage.

All this will tend to put a strain on the gear-change linkages and cause additional stress damage there.

Altogether making very good additional reasons to get it just right as you have.

Apologies for digging up an old post!

This thread has helped me no end! Since putting my engine back in my 126 after a rebuild a year ago, I have suffered with an immense judder when pulling away in 1st!
Turns out I didnt have the cable securing clip in at all!

Massive thanks,
Alex.

Clutch Judder Problem??
This is so simple a fix but it does entail gearbox & clutch removal.

It is (almost inevitably) caused by a worn spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. This is a bronze bush pressed into the end of the crankshaft & if it becomes sufficiently worn in allows the gearbox input shaft to "chatter".
To ger it out after removing the gearbox & clutch, fill there end of the crank with a good amount of grease & then find a mandrel the same diameter as the input shaft, insert it into the bearing & give is a couple of good hammer blows. The grease will act as a hydraulic piston & force the bush out.
Clean out the grease & with a new bush tap it back in, replaceme the clutch & refit gearbox.

Proper fix & End of problem!

A massive thank you to all that contributed to this post and the helpful nature of the descriptions and the pictures.

New to the 500 classic, I just assumed my driving technique needed adjusting with the clutch judder! However, the problem seemed to be getting worse!

Turns out the nut that holds the clutch cable mounting was missing entirely from mine. I fitted a new nut and 'voila' no more juddering. Once this was done it was easy to tell that the biting point was waayy to high, so I backed that off as well.

Thanks again!

Back