Technical Climate control

Currently reading:
Technical Climate control

Thedra

Hi! The fan on my climate control has stopped working. All the lights on the control panel say it is speeding up and slowing down but it is not spinning. Also at the same time this fault appeared the heated rear screen stopped working although it's light comes on.
Any ideas.

Hi! The fan on my climate control has stopped working. All the lights on the control panel say it is speeding up and slowing down but it is not spinning. Also at the same time this fault appeared the heated rear screen stopped working although it's light comes on.
Any ideas.

Check the fuses first. They're inside the little cupboard that's by the driver's knee (right knee if it's RHD). Unscrew the one visible screw completely and the whole lump of plastic pulls out.

I don't have eLearn installed at the moment, but you should be able to download it to find out which fuse(s) you need to check.

I hope this is not what I had. After a bit of service the drain hole from the LH side of the front screen leads to a small pipe with a double bend in it to take the water past the pollen filter. When they replaced the pollen filter the pipe was left in the bottom of the drain compartment. Several weeks later my fan controller burnt out, odd smell of hot plastic, and I had 2 inches of water in the passenger foot well.
The controller cost about £90, and the car could have caught fire, so now you know what to do?

What do you mean by a double bend? Mine's just a straight vertical pipe that goes straight down. It's only just long enough to stay in the drain hole though, very easy to leave it pouring into the pollen filter if you don't know it's there.

If you don't care about hygiene, the simple way of checking it's clear is to pull it up from the bottom and blow hard into the bottom end. Then carefully remove any bits that have been blown out of the top (without them going back down the pipe). It's a stupidly narrow pipe.

I've found that I get some water under there anyway, as the plastic tray doesn't seal onto the windscreen after a couple of screen changes. I've tried removing/carefully refitting and thumping it from end to end, but I can't get it to squidge against the glass properly. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. I have now remedied the matter by fitting a secondhand fan unit from a SAAB 9-3. Mine had water ingress though the carpet was dry, but the controller was a real mess. Now working perfect.

Back