Cleaning

Currently reading:
Cleaning

i have various auto glym products, at the moment i start by jet washing the car, then use auto glym bodywork shampoo with bucket and sponge, jet wash again, dry with a leather chamois, use auto glym fast glass for the windows/mirrors, auto glym clean wheels for the alloys, super resin polish to restore the colour a little then finish with extra gloss protection. is this ok or shall i change my method.

lol ok so instead of a bucket and sponge, i'll use a washing mitt and the 2 bucket method. is there anythin else i should change. should i use both super resin polish and extra gloss

god its a mine field, i am guessing not to use a chamois leather and be careful which cloth you use to apply the polish. I just orderd that diamond brite stuff off ebay but i am a little scared that i will wreck my brand new car

Hi,

I've won many concours trophies over the years with my modified XR2 and the products and techniques I used on the XR I continue to use now on my Sporting Schumacher, so I like to think I know a bit about car valeting and preparation.
I definitely second all those who say don't use a sponge, use a wash mitt with as deep a pile as you can find. The detailing sites mentioned already are all excellent as are www.seriousperformance.co.uk and www.cleanyourcar.co.uk (y)

I would recommend without hesitation CLEARKOTE products, in particular the Carnauba Moose Wax and Quikshine (quick detailing spray). Both of these (and in fact all of Clearkote's range) can be used in direct sunlight and give amazing results especially on dark colours (my cars are black and red and I wouldn't use anything else. They also don't leave nasty white stains on black plastic like Autoglym does - in fact I wax over my black plastic parts just like the paintwork and they get a lovely sheen.

If I could only ever use one valeting product for the rest of my life it would be the 'Quikshine' (y) . It works as a quick spray polish for paintwork, a glass cleaner, windscreen treatment (like rain x), shines plastic trim and can basically be used on every surface on your car apart from fabric and tyres.
You can buy it in 500ml bottles but I get mine in the Gallon size as it works out MUCH cheaper and will last ages.

Hope some of this helps. :D

This is a brilliant thread. I have learned so much from this and the links in it. Cheers. And oh yes i really laughed at the detailed Dyson and the pics of it in the multi story really sent me over the edge. Brilliant.

Back