Cleaning roof lining

Currently reading:
Cleaning roof lining

Is there an easy way to clean a fabric roof lining? There are some marks and stains on mine and I think a previous owner also smoked. I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner for the house and I was wondering if this would be something that might work but I dont want to get anything wet under there as my dashboard is likely to light up like a Christmas tree with all sorts of error messages and I will end up wishing I had left well alone. Any ideas?

You can shampoo a headlining if you have the right equipment, but it's a tricky operation since head lining are not typically very tough. Scrubbing is almost always a bad idea unless you use an extremely soft bristled brush.

However is it's only spot cleaning gently rubbing with a damp cloth can work wonders on some marks.

Actually one of the easiest ways with best results to clean said head liner is steam cleaning it. Those wee kettle type cleaners are quite cheap or borrow one. Very easy.

Ah just read the OP. Steam cleaner it is.

Last edited:
I would pre-soak the bad areas on the headlining first with 6:1 diluted shampoo then id steam clean and it should work a treat, if it's been smoked in before then it might be a good idea to pre-shampoo all of the head lining first. :D

Back