Technical Cinquecento sporting lube problem

Currently reading:
Technical Cinquecento sporting lube problem

[email protected]

Hi everyone
Got a 1997 sporting that's just had a new head gasket fitted. Within a couple of hundred miles a rocker box rattle started. Doesn't appear to be any oil getting to cams from spray bar. Should I see oil coming out of the bar when engine running and rocker box cover off? I blew an air line down the riser bore and could feel air coming out of head/block area. Any ideas guys?

you should definately see oil when the rocker cover is off and the engine is running, i did the head gasket on my cinq sporting at the weekend and ran it with the rocker cover off to check everything, and the oil was everywhere. So if you're not getting oil out of the spraybar i'd start with the obvious and check the spraybar isn't blocked etc. as you have started to do, next step after that is checking your oil pump.

I'm assuming the car has oil in it? stupid question i know but someone's gonna ask it, may as well be me lol

Lenny

you should definately see oil when the rocker cover is off and the engine is running, i did the head gasket on my cinq sporting at the weekend and ran it with the rocker cover off to check everything, and the oil was everywhere. So if you're not getting oil out of the spraybar i'd start with the obvious and check the spraybar isn't blocked etc. as you have started to do, next step after that is checking your oil pump.

I'm assuming the car has oil in it? stupid question i know but someone's gonna ask it, may as well be me lol

Lenny

ahh,goes off to the guides section for the new HG guide..............huh,eh where wha....:shrug:

:nono:

Cheers for that. Checked the spray bar - clean as a nut. No oil coming from riser. Don't think it's a pump problem as I would expect the bottom end to have suffered quite quickly, so presume it's the riser from the pump to the top end. Puzzled though why when I pumped an air line down the riser port in the head, I could see air blowing from the head gasket area. Do you know the route from the oil pump to the spray bar?

Had wondered about that one. Do ou know if it is possible to tell withohut taking the head off. Would there be any bits of gasket sticking out where they shouldn't be!! I presume from your suggestion it is possible to put the gasket on the wrong way up ie the barrels and water jackets would still line up - but not the oil-way to the spraybar?

it was me with that problem, thanks guys for reminding me:eek:.
i think the only way of checking is to take the head off again.
was there oil reaching the cam before? i would think so as it would of wipe your cam and bearing long ago. when mine went i only driven it for approx 10 mins and that was it scrapped bearings and sheered cam belt.
i would say maybe it the gasket put the wrong way round or its the oil pump but even then surely you would have a little oil reaching there. either way you need to find the route of it quick or you end up like me.

oh yeah just to let you lot know all the trouble was worth it, on the M25 today and it didn't miss a beat.

Ricky

Last edited:
Well done guys. You can put the head gasket on the wrong way round. Absolutely symmetrical EXCEPT for the oil riser for the spray bar. There is a 45 degree slot on the front end for the oil riser and only a 5mm hole in the corresponding rear end of the gasket. Dead easy to make the mistake if you're in a rush or in dim light. I'm amazed that there is no damage to the cams , shaft or buckets. Everything is fine except for the noise!!! Thanks again for the advice.

Back