Cinquecento 1108cc Fire Sporting

Currently reading:
Cinquecento 1108cc Fire Sporting

Hi All,

Well Ive had a little time on my hands to start stripping the engine,

I have to be honest the little 1108cc has had a very lucky escape.....another track day and i would most definitely have blown the head gasket and even buggered the head or even the block,

When stripping it i noticed one of the head bolts had started to corrode as the coolant had been leaking through the head gasket to the bolt hole,

Good and bad bolt and where the gasket had let go

Head009.jpg

Head011-1.jpg

You can see the gasket has gone/was going.There should be a clean line around all the fire-rings in the gasket,just from that photo I can pick out a number of places where it wasn't sealing properly.....

leaks.jpg

Parts003-4.jpg

Head001.jpg

Head012.jpg

Parts001-4.jpg

Well i have managed to get the top end all stripped and clean up a little and brushed up with some fresh oil to keep the rust at bay until i get it all built back up?? after the summer all going well?? we'll see,

Now i have the head all stripped...... apart from the old valve stem oil seals i can get the head sent away to get the work done on it that i have planned,

Valves003.jpg

When i get the head back then i can start to polish and port it and also polish the valves,as always i will update when i have something to update on,

Cheers Scuderia

YcMing said:
Man you are so organised :D . As always loving the work!

Ming

Thats being an ex service man for you?unless there something wrong with me lol,although i do need to keep all the valves in order they come out as it best to fit them back in the same seats they were removed from so your not having to change the clearances all that much if any after grinding the old valves back in so thats more why its all neat and tidy,

Although the clearances on OHC engines with this valve train system drivers in the motor sport world opt for adding extra when setting there valve clearances - it can make them run that bit sweeter so i believe even though there may be a bit more clatter.

I hope to get the valves cleaned up and get the carbon deposits removed and polished up tomorrow then get the old valve stem oil seals removed from the head then its just a waiting game until i can afford to have it checked and skimmed,we'll see and get the other work i need doing then rebuild it,long way of yet though,

Cheers Scuderia

im very impressed with the work!

also very surprised that gasket didnt properly go pop, i dont think i've seen many worse that that even after they had actually blown! lol

im guessing thats the original factory installed gasket? it certainly looks old

keep up the good work mate, the more you do, the more likley it will be that you'll shame me into getting on with mine! :)

Martyn said:
Re: Cracking progress as always mate! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Martyn

YcMing said:
I just love it how you have everything so neat mate :) .

Again i'll throw in some more ideas, GSR does light weight buckets

http://www.gsrengineering.com/engineering/pages/productsbycar/fiat/fiat_sei_engine.htm

Are you still going to get the head ported then ? If you are no need to clean up the carbon and sutff, they'll do that for ya :p .

Thanks
Ming

Thanks for the link Ming cool,the buckets and shims i have are good so only the valve springs are getting replaced for new stock Fiat springs along with new valve stem oil seals,

Iam porting the inlet port myself....opening it up to meet the inlet manifold gasket and removed any harsh casting marks although it will be left rough to cause the air and fuel mixture to still be turbulent,i will also be keeping the valves i have as they are already run in and are hard compared to new valves so all i need to do to them is clean and polish both inlet and exhaust valves then grind them back in and checks for leaks using some paraffin in the ports over night and this will check that the valves and stem seals are doing there job,then on the exhaust port i just plane to clean it up and port it a little and also remove any harsh casting marks and bring it out to meet the exhaust manifold gasket and polish it a little as it doesn't stay clean for long,there is more i could do but thats as far as iam going to see how i get on,

The head and block will also be getting check for squareness and the head skimmed but as i said i can't do that until i have saved some pennies,

Mrcento said:
im very impressed with the work!

also very surprised that gasket didnt properly go pop, i dont think i've seen many worse that that even after they had actually blown! lol

im guessing thats the original factory installed gasket? it certainly looks old

keep up the good work mate, the more you do, the more likley it will be that you'll shame me into getting on with mine! :)

Thanks Mrcento,

Iam not sure if its the original gasket or not but iam guessing it is so for 82k and being 12 years old it has done ok as the 1108cc gasket can let go long before that...so i guess there is a chance it has already been done before,

God i thought you would of started that Cento by now??,

All the best Scuderia

Christ Donald, you're an inspiration the work you're doing! More power to your elbow, or should that be more pounds to your wallet. :wink:

tifosotony said:
Christ Donald, you're an inspiration the work you're doing! More power to your elbow, or should that be more pounds to your wallet. :wink:

Cheers,

Its not so bad as most of the work i can do myself so that helps keep the costs down but it still hits the back pocket hard lol,

Well i had some time this afternoon to get the inlet and exhuast valves all cleaned up and now this is done it only leaves me to gring them in and cheak for leaks when the time comes,

Before

Valves003.jpg

After

ValvesCleanedPolished002.jpg

ValvesCleanedPolished003.jpg

ValvesCleanedPolished005.jpg

Now i have this out the way i can move back onto the head maybe tomorrow or the weekend?

Cheers Scuderia

Hi All,

Well i had most of the day to myself:cool: so i was able to do a little more work that i wanted to have done on the head,

On the inlet side all i have done is remove the ruff casting ridges and take it out to the diameter size of the ports to match the inlet manifold gasket just around the lip of the ports and left it as rough as it was before i started to help aid turbulent air and fuel mixture,

port015.jpg

port009.jpg

port011.jpg

Now on the Exhaust ports side all i have done is remove the most of the carbon build up and remove the casting ridges and smooth the ports out and give them a quick polish the best i could and take them out to the same size as the exhaust manifold gasket like on the inlets...although iam sure they will not stay clean for long,

This pic isn't doing my polishing any justice:crazy:but they are like a baby's bum nice a smooth:d just like me,

port003.jpg

port004.jpg

port013.jpg

Now i can get on with grinding the valves in a little to test for leaks before i sent it off to be skimmed then i can finish them off when it returns as there is no point in sending it away to be skimmed to find out when it returns the valves are not seating right:eek: but i will have to wait until i get the new valve stem oil seals and springs??? not sure when that will be iam not asking the oh for more cash:eek:she'll beat me up,

Iam going to move into the block over the weekend but iam not quite sure what iam doing there yet??there seems to be no play in the pistons so i might not be removing them??although i will check the bearings to see if there is any excess marks on them,i will replace all the oil seals and gaskets iam just not keen to remove the pistons when they don't need to be removed,we'll see,

Cheers Scuderia

If is no movement just leave them :)

I know you said you wanted an uprates gasket, but is it really needed?

You can get a full head set from fluffy for around £50, which includes all the valve stem oil seals.

Ming

YcMing said:
If is no movement just leave them :)

I know you said you wanted an uprates gasket, but is it really needed?

You can get a full head set from fluffy for around £50, which includes all the valve stem oil seals.

Ming

Hi Ming,

No there's no movement...although all i have done is test it by dropping each piston 6mm from TDC and placing both thumbs on the top of the piston and pushing from front to back... but nothing so iam not keen on removing them to replace the rings when in fact its not been using oil,it might come back to bit me??lets hope not,

Iam not 100% on the uprated gasket set yet?? but purely just because iam going to be using as fun on the track i think it would safer too?? but thats about it not because its a highly tuned or high boosting turbo power house lol,

Must go have lots to be getting on with,

Cheers Scuderia

Hi All,

Well i was able to start work on the block today so i started by checking the pistons again today for play but there is none so iam not removing them nor iam i doing any work on the crank?apart from the bearings if there badly marked?? and new gaskets and oil seals?but i have not got the fare yet,

I was able to get the block face cleaned up today along with the inlet manifold,i also removed the crankshaft oil retainer and cleaned it up and got the oil seal removed ready for the new oil gasket and seal,

Block001.jpg

Block011.jpg

Thats about all i had time for today but there is always tomorrow,

Cheers Scuderia

Hmmm just yse standard gasket, i think the uprated gasket was mainly used because of their thickness to raise or keep the compression ratio for the turbo guys after they had their head skimmed.

Hmmmm there were some info where the later punto head gasket is a metal gasket from fiat.

Ming

Hi All,

Well i was able to get a bit more done today,as much as iam not removing the crank or pistons i was told to check the end bearings and caps so i removed them today and iam pleased to say there was to excessive wear or cracks so i re-oiled them and torqued them back up and angle tightened them,as i said the other day i also checked the pistons for play by using the old pushing thumb method back and forth from front to rear about 6mm from TDC and they seem to be nice and tight with no play...German Girl Friend Rightintight,

I removed the oil pump today and stripped it all down and gave it a good clean ready for refitting,i will need 2 new copper washers, oil seal and gasket but they will be bought when iam fitting it back on,

Sunday001.jpg

Sunday002.jpg

Sunday003.jpg

Sunday005.jpg

Sunday006.jpg

Sunday004.jpg

I also got the sump mating surface all clean up on the sump using some silicone sealant remover as someone had used sealant on it to seal it before me and not used a gasket,

I also got all the mating surfaces on the block cleaned up today ready for the new gaskets and oil seals but thats about it from the engine foe while as iam going to move onto other parts i removed from the engine bay that need sanded down and repainted to freshen them up,

Sunday008.jpg

Sunday009.jpg

Sunday014.jpg

Over the out,

Cheers Scuderia

you know, the engine looks even smaller when is out the engine :D . I admire the work :) and love the cleaning and painting!

OH as for the sump, it never comes with gasket, usually just RTV silicon people use or instant gasket?

Ming

YcMing said:
you know, the engine looks even smaller when is out the engine :D . I admire the work :) and love the cleaning and painting!

OH as for the sump, it never comes with gasket, usually just RTV silicon people use or instant gasket?

Ming

If you ask me its just the right size to work on lol,i used to work for a breakers and i have removed some lumps in my time and this is by far the best to work on,

Are you sure about the Gasket??,i ask as i was going to replace the sump and most if not all come with a gasket?? ive even seem some listed??,

Cheers Scuderia

Back