Technical Cinq sporting fuel filter pipe replacement?

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq sporting fuel filter pipe replacement?

dac69er

Established member
Replaced my fuel filter and noticed the short flexible pipe on the side with the plastic pipe (from the tank) is pretty ropey and really needs replacing.

It appears to have a single use hose clamp holding it to the plastic pipe?
Can I simple remove the clamp, replace the flexi pipe and fit a new clamp/jubilee clip and it's done?

Theoretically, yes. If there's a clamp it means it can be undone and the pipe will come off.

I can't visualise the pipe you mean.. but if it looks remotely unusual (some kind of plastic etc.) make sure you can find a suitable replacement pipe of the right size before you operate.

If it's a regular rubber fuel hose, then replace it with "injector" fuel hose, not carburettor hose (if it's still possible to find such a thing). The hose/pipe has to be petrol proof inside (rubber lines are lined with plastic) and be able to withstand high pressures, depending on what the hose does.

Ralf S.

i will get a picture. i was hoping someone had done it before!!!

i spoke to a lad at work who is into unos and he seemed to say he tried on his uno and he couldnt get it apart. i didnt want to try and make a complete mess of it!

I imagine it's the standard quick fit clip (but not the Klik type, which are for re-usable applications) that Fiat uses. It's a cross between a metal rubber band and a jubilee clip but once fitted (at the factory) they can't be removed.

You need to unfold the tangs that hold the tension (where the screw of a Jubilee clip would go) and then use a small screwdriver inside the folded square band to open that up, to loosen the band enough to get the locating pimple out of the groove it's in. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

If you can't get it completely apart, as long as you make it loose enough to get a pair of pliers (or your best scissors) under it, you can snip it.

The clip will be wrecked, so that's normal. A Jubilee clip is a good replacement.

Ralf S.

Here is a pic of what I mean. It's the clip that holds the rubber pipe to the plastic pipe I want to replace

Attachments

• 20190606_161948.jpg
    20190606_161948.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
sorry dac;

did you say 'into unos'?!!

wow- I wish I had your workmates!!

Yeah. He has a drag spec uno turbo. Took it for mapping today and was dissapointed with just under 250bhp.
He is going to build up his 2l lancia engine and stick that in next :slayer:

That's going to be a bundle of joy to remove..! Ahhhh

There's probably a raised "ear" on the other side. The clamp is tightened by squeezing the edges of the ear together which makes the clip diameter smaller (similar to a CV joint clip, although a CV clip is a strap of metal, whereas this clip will be circular, with no ends).

Stick the smallest screwdriver you have into the ear part and work the edges apart enough to make the clamp looser. A bit of Fairy Liquid will help it slide off the rubber pipe. You just need to be careful not to damage/crack/split the plastic tube.

If you fit a Jubilee clip, don't overtighten it (since the plastic tube won't take much force) but stuff some silicon gasket goo into the worm drive just before you get to "as tight was you want to tighten it".. so that it sets in the drive and prevents the clip coming undone due to fuel "pulse". The clamp style clamp is better for fuel lines if you can find one.

Ralf S.

Other than the access being a bit poor when doing it on your back, it wasn't too bad.
Whipped that clip off, slit the rubber pipe so it came off the plastic pipe and then stuck a new bit of 8mm id pipe on.
Couldn't quite get the new pipe on as far as the original, but it seems good enough.

The old pipe was utterly shot so glad I changed it, fuel spraying on the exhaust wouldn't have been nice!!!

Proper reinforced gates branded fuel pipe of course. That's why it was a bit of a bitch to get on as it doesn't have as much give due to the reinforcement braiding.

i think the main issue was the fuel leaking everywhere that wasnt helping it slide on.

i have heated that type of pipe up with hot water in the past and it helps, but sometimes you dont kow how well it will go on until you actually try. its most of the way there, just didnt quite make it all the way. it will be fine :)

If you lube the connector stubs with a bit of Fairy Liquid, the rubber will slide on pretty good.

Don't use Vaseline since it rots rubber (the outside of a petrol pipe is not all that petrol resistant.. it's the core that has the petrol-proof lining).

Ralf S.

i kinda had to just smash it on as i was past the point of no return. i was just seeing how easy it was going to be to get off and when it came off reasonably easily i had to get it back together pretty sharpish as fuel was peeing out everywhere!!!!!

as said, its most of the way there and it doesnt have a hole it in, so its alot better than it was.

i doubt any fuel that got on the outside of the pipe would be there for long under a cinq, its not that well protected!

Back