Styling Changing Seats

Currently reading:
Styling Changing Seats

Yep, that's about right, shame nobody wanted to buy my Mk1 for a reshell it was really really clean, instead I sold it to a couple who just wanted a cheap car. Probably got used for the year the MOT was valid and ditched.

I'm guessing in some of these other EU countries depreciation is much better and the car retains much more of it's original value. The moment the car gains a numberplate it loses about 25% of it's original value here, dropping to 30 - 50% of original value after 3 years. Just look at my Stilo, had a list price of £17k and was sold recently after 5 years for about £3k.

Hansen, you seem to be shelling out more money than we do. That's crazy! Paying £2000 for a 12 year old Fiat Uno is mad. But that's how it is here. We currently have quite a registration tax for new cars, which apparently is in breach of EU law so we're hoping it will be removed more sooner than later. So we should be getting lower prices on new cars. Then of course there is the VAT, which is currently 18%.

It does get frustrating when these chaps in the UK pay a tenth or less than we do, for a car in the same condition.

The EU is constantly complaining about our taxes, but they aren't that easy to change as they're so integrated in the entire economy. The tax was originally meant to pay for keeping the roads healthy, but only 30% of the state's income on the car taxes go into the roads.
Also, ditching the taxes would bomb out the market totally, as all dealers will have paid too much for any used car they have in the lot and people having taken out loans will be lucky to cover up 1/3 with a resale.

It's been like this since the '70s, I believe.

Yep, that's about right, shame nobody wanted to buy my Mk1 for a reshell it was really really clean, instead I sold it to a couple who just wanted a cheap car. Probably got used for the year the MOT was valid and ditched.

I'm guessing in some of these other EU countries depreciation is much better and the car retains much more of it's original value. The moment the car gains a numberplate it loses about 25% of it's original value here, dropping to 30 - 50% of original value after 3 years. Just look at my Stilo, had a list price of £17k and was sold recently after 5 years for about £3k.

The Fiat Panda 1.2 is set at £9.000. Once you put plates on it and leave the dealer, it's value will drop to ~8.000 and after four years you're looking at less than 7.000. After six years it's around 4.500 in mint condition, so the devaluation isn't as bad as in the U.K.
I suppose it's caused by the high starting price, generally making people take good care of their cars. Also, the Fiat's devaluation has diminished over the past 5-7 years - the myth about Fiat making cr*p cars is slowly dying out.

A 2002 Stilo 1.6 Active started off at £17.500 and resale value this year is ~9.000. Bigger cars keep their value better.

All are dealer prices - buying from a private person is 10-30% cheaper, but even on used cars you get a 6 month warranty at a dealer, no matter the car's age. That's money well spent!

Oh dear, massively OT again... I'll go start a "stupid taxes" topic in Leisure Lounge, me thinks :p

A six year old panda woud be worth less than £1k GBP but you can get them for new for less than £5k GBP pre-registered.

Anyway this seems to have gone a little off track from original post!

time to go back on track :)
if your feeling confident, cut your original brackets and weld some up with some box section etc. so they bolt in the front still
mine can still slide back and forth and can easily be taken out :)

I have alfa GTV seats in mine need to weld a bar across the rear runners and believe it or not there are two holes pre drilled at the front that you can mount to :)

Back