General Changing coolant on the abarth

Currently reading:
General Changing coolant on the abarth

Shaun86

1.6 16v Dynamic
what is the best way to go about changing the coolant on the abarth ive had a little look and reckon the bottom hose to the radiator might empty it. but im unsure if that will clear the lot out of the system.

Also how much paraflu do i need, my garage sold me two litres of paraflu but i have been hearing that i need twice that... :eek:

Check the owners manual for coolant capacity - as for changing it, only needs changing when it drops below spec.

Remove the lower hose with the expansion tank cap off, empty old coolant into a container so you can dispose of it properly. Place a garden hose in exp. tank to flush out system with normal water. Refit bottom hose, open any bleed valves on the radiator or in the pipework to release air and prevent air locks. Fill with fresh coolant and fill tank to nearly the top, and check the open valves untill they start to leak - close them when they do.

Run engine with expansion cap off, and hold at 2500 rpm untill fan cuts in - this will ensure all air escapes the system - some coolant may overflow due to air escaping. With fan working fit cap and leave to idle, recheck fan still cuts in and temp gauge throughout the whole process.

Recheck coolant level next day when cold. Dispose of old coolant correctly(y)

Back