Changes to the MOT..

Currently reading:
Changes to the MOT..

cars that are looked after should always pass first time, ive only ever had one car fail once. out of the 4 ive owned and all were ove 12years old so mot's shouldnt be hard tbh

even cars that are well looked after can fail with something more hidden that can be overlooked take brake lines for example easy to check really but how many people actualy can or have the ability to check them out there are so many things checked in an mot it does seem a waste of time given on newer cars that they have to be checked EVERY year i would say they could go for a sort of basic MOT for around 15 bucks once a year and then a major MOT 1 every 2 years instead of the 2 year thing

Call me cynical but this will not save motorists money. For a start test centres will be unhappy to see a drop in revenue and find another way to keep their profits up.

Only time I've had a car fail was when I took it to Arnold Clark and that's because they wanted to take me to the cleaner's. Was the Stilo as well, which has passed every other test with flying colours.

I like the idea of it being moved to once every two years simply for the cost saving, but I do wonder as has been said whether this will keep cars on the road for longer that maybe shouldn't be there. Having said that though, some test centres are far more lenient than others as my run in with AC showed.

better idea then how about we get a refund if the car passes without work needed and still be yearly :D

abyss113 said:
better idea then how about we get a refund if the car passes without work needed and still be yearly :D

I like you're thinking there Daz.

All the car's I have owned passed their MOT First time.
V Reg Saxo East Coast (First Car)- Passed NO Advisorys
2004 (54) Panda Active (Second Car)- Passed NO Advisorys
2003 (03) Sei Sporting (Last Car)- Passed but with 7 Advisorys.....
Then Dubster's has his first MOT in November.

well add in that you can get a second opinion from a secondry garage fi they say fail or pass on the specific item :D

and to make it a little fairer on the garage who does a secondry inspection it could cost a fiver :D

As a garage Manager that does MOT's and repairs,. I have been hearing these rumours for years.....The MOT Test regulations change every few years, the last major one was with reference to brake corrosion. It is now not allowed to fail cars for excessive disc corrosion if it passes the brake efficency on the rolling road....As for the MOT every 2 years that is in the Article, there are varying veiws about it, the one thing thats seeems common amounst the industry is that the Test will be more indepth, and points that may only be advisoty under the current system , would then be deemed failure points...It would not be a bad thing to change to this system but i prefer an annual test, as brake pipes in paticular need to be checked regulary....I personally do not think the 2 year test will come into affect, but Them VOSA boys do make some silly descisions.

Back