CAT

Currently reading:
CAT

M

Martin

i remember seeing some were on this forum, that if the cat is removed from the car, and u r stoped by the police. they can do u for it.
is this right or have i got it wrong.
do u need to replace the hole system to inprove HP or can u leave the cat on the car and still get more HP, with just replacing the middle and back parts of the system.

thanks for your help.

M

Your telling me that the police are going to stop you and check underneath your car to tell whether you have a CAT on there? I dont think so.

There all to busy pissing about in other so called 'policing' duties.

John

Re: Re: CAT

but do u need to replace the whole system for more HP

M

Re: Re: Re: CAT

Removing the CAT is a quick and easy way to get extra bhp, however it is illegal to run a car without a CAT if it is designed to have one. The act of not having the CAT is not illegal, but the emissions certainly are. It will fail an MOT emissions test in a blaze of glory, people get round this by fitting the CAT back on for the MOT then removing it again (not a big job).

However, the police do roadside emssions tests from time to time... i've never been tested myself, but I have driven past them doing it If you do get tested at the roadside and don't have a CAT they could come down on you like a ton of bricks for flaunting the law.

Re: Re: Re: Re: CAT

Also if you have not told your insurance company, who most likely will refuse you insurance cos the car is technically unroadworthy without the cat, you could be in serious trouble if you have a smash.

Its more likely that if you are involved in a smash with a modded car they will take a closer look at it to try and get out of paying. (looking for bodged repairs etc..)

A friend got shafted cos he had changed the cylinder head on his mini for a Cooper one and the insurance inspector actually took the rocker cover off and checked the part numbers!! (all mini heads have a model number cast onto them) I know this is an AMAZINGLY unusual 1 in millions thing to happen but be warned.

A cat on a post 1992 car is a LEGAL requirement, just like seatbelts and indicators.

Ribzz

Hi Martin,

I will answer your question for you m8 and not tell you what you can and can't do.

Its your car and you can do what ever you want to it.

If you want more power then you need the full system with a CAT replacement pipe and if you can affoard the extra cost a 4 branch manifold too. All that lot together will make a massive difference. Don't forget an induction kit too. You'll be pleased with the power increase I promise!

Just an air filter and a back box on its own will do very little.

Re: Ribzz

thanks Ribzz and all of you for your help.

M