Technical Car Shutting Down when Downshifting

Currently reading:
Technical Car Shutting Down when Downshifting

Awakensoul

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1.2 POP S&S (LHD) from 2017 currently with 65.000 Kilometers. I am the 2nd owner and I believe when I bought the car back in 2019 that it was a rental.
Randomly when starting the car and releasing the clutch in 1st gear the car would rev itself up to 3500 rpm all of a sudden, and this would last for a second or 2, then it would rev down to idle rpm and the car would behave normally. This started to happen like once or twice a month, then it started being more regularly up to the point where I would deemed it dangerous to drive. No codes were present and 2 Fiat official dealers couldn't figure it out.

My local independent mechanic couldn't figure it out either as why there were no codes recorded of this and we tried a bunch of different things. Ultimately, we agreed on replacing the throthle body and ordered a Mahle one as the FIAT OEM was ridiculously priced. Just for the record, when the Mahle piece arrived it was actually equal to the one that the car had and which was factory fitted. Much to our surprise after fitting the new throttle body and performing the software calibration this issue was completely solved after almost 4 years.

This was unfortunately only issue number 1, because issue number 2 started about 6 months ago. When dowshifting and applying the clutch at low speeds (when approaching a roundabout for instance) the engine stalls. This happens sometimes 1 or twice per day, regardless of outside temperature, regardless if the engine is cold or hot. Because the car has S&S as soon as the S&S system detects that the engine is off and the car is moving it automatically starts the engine again. But if I decide to disable the S&S through the S&S button on the dashboard and the engine shuts off while approaching a roundabout it will not restart by itself and I will be driving with a car turned on but with the engine off. I then engage 2nd gear, release the cluctch carefully and it restarts the engine as it should. Again, no codes are stored whatsoever and to the ECU eveything is fine.

Do you think that a bad battery could cause this?
I recently changed sparkplugs so I am rulling those out.

Any help would be appreciated!

Back