Car keeps stalling

Currently reading:
Car keeps stalling

B

bigbravo

Hi looking for some help please.My bro's bravo has started stalling quite alot.

It never done it at all before hand and wondered if anyone could shed some light on what could be causing it.

I read that it could be the idle valve,lambda or the map sensor.

The lambda was replaced last year and the idle valve was cleaned up and it was black and dirty and when it was put back in the rpm's went to 3000rpm then down to 1100rpm and it's now sitting at about 800rpm so i'm not sure if it's faulty.

And i don't know how to tell if the map could be knackered either.

It seems to stall when coming up to roundabouts,junctions or to a stop when the clutch get's engaged.

It's becoming dangerous now and i'd like to find the cause asap.

It's a 98 1.6 SX BRAVO.

Cheers

Check if the switch above the clutch pedal is functioning OK and that its adjusted OK.

sven3.jpg

Members Site ---------My Site

Hi sven thanks for replying.

The clutch pedal feels ok i've had a feel underneath where the clutch is and found this spring that's snapped.

Could this be what's causing it? I'm not sure what this spring controls.

Thanks.

Picture.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry my last post should have said the spring was up where the clutch pedal is not the clutch.

That's the returning spring for the clutch pedal as I know. Get a new one, it can be that your clutch was a bit engaged all the time and also not releasing all the way.
Change it and see - either way you need a new one.

sven3.jpg

Hi update on the car.

Got a spring and fitted it the thought it was problem solved car was running fine then just at pull up when car was warmed up stalling kicked in again.

When the car is restarted and the electric window switch is pressed the car just dies. Could it be an electrical problem maybe alternator?

Any more help welcome please.

Hi has anyone got anymore idea's what they think could be causing this.

Car is basicly unusable it starts ok last's for a few minutes then when electric windows are used i had a listen under bonnet and when electrics are used you can here like how do i describe.

It's like alternator belt is turning normally then when theres a load on it you can hear the sound dipping and keeping load on it the car just dies.

So do you think most likely the cause is a dying alternator?

Can an alternator still be dying even if the warning light does not come on?

Thank you.

new battery or alternator perhaps? Get your battery tested at a garage on idle and when using the electrics.see what it gives out under load.

mikey_sig2.jpg

A Fiat Marea in a Bravo Shell :)
MOT next weekend :)

Hi got alternator tested today and was told it and the battery were fine.

The car has always been great up till now.

I'm starting it and switching on the electrics like the fan or electric windows and the car just dies.

Gratefull for more help please.

did you test the battery under load?
it must be power wise as the car dies under load.

mikey_sig2.jpg

A Fiat Marea in a Bravo Shell..its good to be different :)
MOT this weekend :)

Use a battery from another car and see if the symptoms go away. By the sound of it, it has to do with the alternator or battery.

Do you have a multimeter ?

sven3.jpg

Thanks for replying guys.

Two good batterys have been used in the car and it's now running a brand new one so can only guess it's the alternator.

I don't have a multimeter.

Is it hard to change the alternator on a
1.6 sx bravo?

This may be an earth fault. Have it checked by an auto electrician

Hi bro just got the alternator changed so fingers crossed it fixes the problem and lasts.

Thanks for helping.

Cheers