Car bought with finance/personal loan? Read this.

Currently reading:
Car bought with finance/personal loan? Read this.

Ok, some people may already know what im about to write, but I know there are some people on here, like myself, that are new to buying a car on some sort of finance, and probably aren't fully aware of the pitfalls. In particular, what happens if the worst occurs, and your car is written off?

Someone mentioned in another thread that you should tell your insurance company about your factory-fitted options, as otherwise you wont be fully covered for them in the event of a claim. I'm with Elephant, and quite frankly, they dont care about your options. Dont get me wrong, i've made a claim with them before, and they were excellent in handling it. However, they dont care about your 'extras'. They see a 1.2 Sport as being worth £9,500 regardless of whether you notify them of the options or not. Also, they do not offer a 'new for old' type of policy whereby your car is replaced with a brand new identical vehicle during the first year of its life.

So, as an example, I am picking up my 500 next week with the spec as in my sig, which came to a grand total of £10,750. If I was to have the huge misfortune of being involved in an accident immediately after driving off the forecourt, causing the car to be written-off, my insurance company would give me £9,500 maximum. Which although is enough to cover the finance, it wont get me another 500 in my spec.

I suppose my point is, check your insurance policy, especially if you've gone for one of these 'budget' policies to keep your premiums low. Just because you told them that your car is worth £XXXX, doesnt mean thats what they value it at.

If you find that your insurance company has the same views as Elephant, definitely invest in some GAP insurance. This will pay either the shortfall between the insurance payout and the remaining finance, or the shortfall between the insurance payout and the amount you originally paid for the car. Its a one-off payment to cover the entire loan term, not something that needs to be renewed annually.
Make sure you shop around though, and bear in mind that you usually have around 90 days from date of purchase to buy it. Loan and Finance companies should be able to offer it to you, but it will most likely be more expensive than getting it separately.

(Mods, please feel free to move this to a more general forum if necessary, but please keep it linked here as this has been talked about here recently and I think its important)

You are spot on there with GAp insurance, I used to work for Harley Davison as a salesman and people would not beleive me when I told them about how important it was. Again shop around and be aware of these internet site that offer cheap gap insurance, they always seem to dissapear. They AA do a good one and you're stealer will be able to do it cheaper (they make a mark up).

I think you did:bang:. A good thing to do is be sure that the salesmand lists the options on the invoice you get that way there is no doubts. The GAP people need that invoice incase of a cliam so keep it safe and then they cannot deny the extras. If he can't be bothered walk away.

I took GAP out on mine, I know what these insurance companies are like, a friend of mine had his wife's Citreon C2 written off after owning it 3 months and lost about £3,000! (n)

Which type of GAP did you take out? It seems there are a few types.
'Return To Invoice' is only £20 more and seems to be better than 'standard' GAP insurance. This pays the difference between the insurance payout and what you originally paid (i.e. the invoice amount), whereas standard GAP only covers the difference between the insurance payout and the finance/loan settlement. RTI seems better, but there must be some reason why you'd want to choose standard GAP over RTI?

Heidi, there are two places ive looked at so far, one is http://www.ala.co.uk, and the other is http://www.axagapinsurance.co.uk

I'll probably be getting mine from AXA. If you havent got finance, I dont think you'd be able to choose standard GAP, but return-to-invoice is available even if you've bought the car outright. There is also 'replacement GAP', which is new-for-old cover but costs considerably more.

Just to say, the AXA one (which incidentally isnt really AXA, its just underwritten by them) was a thoroughly worrying experience just attempting to take out the policy. I dread to think what it would be like actually making a claim. So needless to say, I went with ALA instead, who were extremely helpful.

Just to say, the AXA one (which incidentally isnt really AXA, its just underwritten by them) was a thoroughly worrying experience just attempting to take out the policy. I dread to think what it would be like actually making a claim. So needless to say, I went with ALA instead, who were extremely helpful.

RobTuck, I'm curious...

I have two policies with SurfandProtect, an Invoice GAP Insurance policy I bought a while back and a Replacement GAP Insurance policy I bought recently...

I've always found them to be really professional and helpful and have subsequently recommended them to numerous others, both on and offline.

I'm surprised to hear you had a bad experience with them, what went wrong?

Back