Technical cant stop the stilo

Currently reading:
Technical cant stop the stilo

icecube

hi complete fiat newbie. Was looking for a car for the wife and went to a garage to look at a clio. we both hated the clio but the salesman showed us an 04 1.9 5dr jtd stilo in a lovely dark blue. Wifey loved it straight away so we toom it for a spin and i gotta say drove like a dream very responsive quite nippy to. with the five doors and abig boot it was perfect for her so we bought it. had it about six months with no problems even now drives lovely. Couple of weeks ago though the engine management light came on not on every journey it only seems to happen if the previous journey was a short school run or shop run.
then yesterday the light came on when she was nipping to tescos when she got there she turned the ignition off but the engine was still running. She turned the key back to on and then off again and the engine stopped fine. Just wondering if anybodies got any ideas and is it gonna cost an arm an a leg to put right. Live in the leeds area so any decent dealerships that I can get this sorted at?

thanks in advance:)

Sounds like the stop valve jammed open (or possibly vacuum reservoir has a strange leak - but that would give you boost problems)

You need to find a good Fiat garage (independent will be cheaper) and make SURE they have Examiner (ask them to be sure)

Nice one Kirbs ..(y)..always nice to get another forum members experience of who is sh*t and who is good in the trade..:)

thanks guys will give the garage on meanwood a ring Im not far from there cheers.

Sounds like the stop valve jammed open (or possibly vacuum reservoir has a strange leak - but that would give you boost problems)

I would go for ignition switch myself. The engine will still stop with the stop valve inoperable, but just runs on for a couple more revolutions and vibrates a bit as it stops.
The engine ECU must still be receiving power for it to run with no key so it has to be electrical, Ignition switch or possibly a sticking relay.

I would go for ignition switch myself. The engine will still stop with the stop valve inoperable, but just runs on for a couple more revolutions and vibrates a bit as it stops.
The engine ECU must still be receiving power for it to run with no key so it has to be electrical, Ignition switch or possibly a sticking relay.
Valid point (y) - I missed that :eek:

:confused: Wont a CI engine just run and run as long as it has fuel and compression? Witness the biblical BMW diesel engine demolition that was all over the tinterweb destroying itself feeding on engine oil after the turbo oil seals failed... and the keys were in the owners hand as he ran away! :eek:

99% sure the fuel cut off valve will be the culprit here TBH.

:confused: Wont a CI engine just run and run as long as it has fuel and compression? Witness the biblical BMW diesel engine demolition that was all over the tinterweb destroying itself feeding on engine oil after the turbo oil seals failed... and the keys were in the owners hand as he ran away! :eek:

Oh, got a linky to that vid :yum:

Don't forget all modern vehicle incorperate electronic fuel pumps, so surly if the key is removed and the ignition barrel isn't at fault the engine will just be starved of Diesel :confused:

The key wasnt removed guys just turned to the off position. She then flicked it back on as if to start the car and then back to off at which point the engine did stop. Thanks for all the input btw. Read an old post that had exactly same problem and he fixed it by changing the Deffuser box. Is this an expensive job?

Last edited:
The key wasnt removed guys just turned to the off position. She then flicked it back on as if to start the car and then back to off at which point the engine did stop. Thanks for all the input btw. Read an old post that had exactly same problem and he fixed it by changing the Deffuser box. Is this an expensive job?
You should get bonus points for finding https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/193393-engine-running-ignition-turned-off.html (Punto section) with Search ;)

I think it translates to water in the fuse box lol but never heard of that with a Stilo.

Imagine the scene, salesman tells boy with power washer to
"Make yourself useful and go clean those cars over there"

"Should I clean the engine bay sir?"
"Of course! Punters don't want a grubby looking engine bay do they. Stupid boy! Get on with it. I wanna see that engine bay sparkling. Buyer is coming around for it this afternoon"

Drrrrrrrrr Spppppllursshhhhh. Whirrrrgg Drip drip drip
All over the fuse boxes
Wow funny things are happening to the electrics now. How did that happen?

Just bought the car? Car was running ok on test drive? Dealer gave it final clean up before delivery?

Last edited:

There is no fuel cut off valve as such on a JTD. It is quite different from the old mechanical pump/ injectors.
The ECU controls each injector electronically. If engine is off, no power to ECU so no fuel gets injected.

I think he would have said if it was belching blue smoke and reving on its own as usually happens when it is running on engine oil.

There is no fuel cut off valve as such on a JTD. It is quite different from the old mechanical pump/ injectors.
The ECU controls each injector electronically. If engine is off, no power to ECU so no fuel gets injected.

I think he would have said if it was belching blue smoke and reving on its own as usually happens when it is running on engine oil.

:) Thanks for the explanation on the injector control.

I wasnt implying his car was running on lubricant, just mentioned it as an example of a modern diesel running on after the "ignition" was switched off really but ta anyhow (y)

i had the same prob after i washed the engine on my jtd stilo some water got in to the engine bay fuse box evan though i covered it up well

so i set abought takeing the fuse box out and stripped it down and it had corosion inside so i cleaned it all any put it back together

ALL NOW FINE

in actual fact it has also cured some other electrical probs i had to

Back