Technical CANBUS and windows

Currently reading:
Technical CANBUS and windows

I've had an issue with my GP for a while.

The odo has been flashing as long as I've had the car; first attempts at a proxi allignment failed due to the common isue with cheap ELM cables having incorrect resistors fitted, but I've a new one on the way.

My passenger window stopped working a while ago; it'd go down but not up. I noticed on MES that the CANBUS has a node in the passenger door. Could the issue be CAN related, or is it more likely to be a failed wiring loom? I also have a new loom on order, but I'd hate to go ripping the old one out if a simple proxi allignment would fix it! At present the plug on the window motor is disconnected!

Hi Chris,

nothing really special with the lifters: simple brushed DC motor, rotates either CW or CCW depending how it's polarized. The pannel buton select what direction to go so if it goes up but not down (or vice-versa) it MUST be the inverting switch.
Only high trim level GPs have some automation involved, I've attached both trim level wiring diagrams so you can select yours...

Regards, Bernie

If someone here helped you understand -or better- fix your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right, it's free and make us happy...

Attachments

• window lift low trim.JPG
    window lift low trim.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 43
  • window lift high trim.JPG
    window lift high trim.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hmmm,

if BOTH switches are not working and according to the drawing it is very unlike that they both failed the same way at the same time, but since the motor is rotating at least one way, the electrical connections should be ok. Therefore and as it's a kind of winch, I' have a look at the winder itself...

Regards, Bernie

Think I'll have to. The strange thing is if there was a physical issue on the spindle or elsewhere I'd expect to hear the motor at least try and turn, but you hit the switch and get nothing, not a sausage.

New loom and ELM cable should be here with the postie later so I'll give that a go as it's fairly simple. If not I'll sacrifice a pizza to the great Italian motor in the sky and hope they help...not that they ever do on my 147!

Update: the loom didn't fix it. Given the motor works from the battery (at least it did last time, haven't tried yet) and the motor wiring comes off the switch I'm now wondering if it is the passenger side switch that's banjaxed. Off to eBay again...

The Dynamic Sport was a fairly high trim level. I can't see Bernie's' images at work but will have a look later.

Robert G8RPI

The Dynamic Sport was a fairly high trim level. I can't see Bernie's' images at work but will have a look later.

Robert G8RPI

I gave up trying to read the diagrams (I'm pretty useless at reading them for a sound engineer!) and just followed the cable on the loom I'd removed. The power for the winder comes off the switch in the passenger door. So if the switch is knackered it stands to reason that it'd stop the drivers side switch operating it too.

TRUE, they're wired in serie (kinda) so if the passenger's switch fails it would also prevent the same motion from the driver's panel...
I wish I had time to color the drawings so you'd understand HOW it works, I'll see what I can do, maybe tomorrow...

Regards, Bernie

PS: have the little passenger's panel removed to check for any obvious clue, not big job...

Back