Technical Can anyone help with security code question?

Currently reading:
Technical Can anyone help with security code question?

fleckie

Hello

I've just bought a secondhand '96 Barchetta, and have realised, reading the manual, that it ought to have a security code card and some kind of security system... Needless to say, I don't have a card, though I do have the special red key. Is there anything I can do to find out what the code should be, and/or how to activate the system? Asking the seller isn't an option!

Thanks for any advice!

I think all you need is the red key and a blue key, then you can recode other keys for the car. YOu need the card if you loose the red key I think

I think all you need is the red key and a blue key, then you can recode other keys for the car. YOu need the card if you loose the red key I think

The above is correct. If it was a UK supplied car then the code card would not have been provided. The handbook states:

'U.K Vehicle only. At the behest of the motor insurance companies the Code card for the emergency starting and replacement of keys are not provided. If you need assistance please contact your nearest Fiat Dealership'

All Fiats which had the code cars removed are registered with the NVRS (National Vehicle Security Register) now called Ratianagroup (http://www.retainagroup.com/fr_vehicle.htm).

I've had major arguements with FIAT UK over the years regarding this system. I have no problem with the information being removed on import thus avoiding it being left around in show rooms, compounds etc. However once the vehicle has been purchased and registered then the rightful owner should be able to obtain the codes, by supplying proof of ownership etc.. However the NVSR will only release codes to dealers and (used to be/is) AA only. They had no methods to relase codes to the RAC or any international motoring organisation so if your code system failed whilst abroad you were stuffed!

Personally I never sign a sales deal on a Fiat unless the dealer agrees to get all the codes from the NVSR which they can do with your approval.

I store the codes for our cars on my mobile phone as pseudo phone phone numbers. The given 4 digit key/imobiliser code is a sub part of a genuine looking STD / number sequence along with a person name that only I know relates to a given car.

At least if I'm in one of my/our cars, and I have my phone with me, and the key code system fails, then I can recall the emergency code from the phone and key it in via the throttle pedal to get me home.

Finally. You own the car. It is your right (I believe) to have this emegency code. They have it in the rest of the EU.

I pressed my case with Fiat for my wife. She used to have to park in a dark and crappy multistory car park. So the system packs up late at night. She calls the AA. Waits an hour or more. The AA man arrives and starts the car via the emergency code procedure but is not allowed to pass the code/method one. A little while later she accidentally stalls the car in a rough area of town........

What a CRAP system.

I've never won my stance with Fiat so now I just bypass Fiat UK. I have all the code I need and ensure that we can get out of trouble and keep our cars secure.

I would much rather my wife's car to be open to steal and no insurance payable that for her to be left in a dangerous / exposed circumstance.

Sadly Fiat are more happy to let my wife be assaulted than allow her to get herself, in her own car, home quickly and safely.

Go figure.... I would love somebody to take Fiat to court and get soem damages after a) having requested their codes b) being denied and c) being assaulted or otherwise compromised.

It's not a matter of only giving them to "approved bodies" you can go into any dealer with proof of ownership and pay more money to get the code.

My gripe with this is that when the cars were imported into the UK, the code card was with the car and, therefore, included in the price of the car. You shouldn't have to pay a second time to get back something you've already paid for.

Dave.

I proved a massive security hole in the system when I requested the code for a car I owned. All the codes were faxed to another Fiat dealer...they eventually arrived with me after a lot of effort on my part. How could this happen and how insecure. The codes lay around in the "in fax tray" on almost public view and took weeks to find their way to me.

I have no problem with any well thought out and implemented security system. The trouble with the Fiat system is that it appears to be an ill thought out reaction to some dubious UK insurance/other request or requirement.

The bottom line, as proved by my full name, address, vehicle details, bank details AND codes being faxed to the wrong dealer, shows that the whole system was not thought out and not supervised.

To be clear, when I requested the codes I filled out a form with all my personal and car details. My original form was copied, updated with the car codes, and faxed back to the wrong garage. How stupid is that. Also bear in mind the original form requested bank details!

Stepping back a little I have to smile

Fiat have only about 3% of the UK market (+/- 3%)

Nobody will ever own up to / confirm owning a Fiat (if Top Gear / others would be believed)

WHO would ever want to steal a crapy Fiat

let alone be seen in one...

Just proves how daft the whole system and insurance industry is when it comes to sensible and well thought out systems.

Thanks for all your replies - I think the situation is clearer to me now, if more worrying!

I have just noticed a hand-written number in the front of the German owners manual that came with the car - it is in the format 5 digits/4 digits - does anyone know whether this is likely to be the elusive security code?

Hi fleckie,
here in Germany we have our precious bit of plastic 'credit card size'. There are two sets of No.s on mine.
'electronic code' consisting of a five digit combination and also a
'mechanical code' consisting of a letter followed by a four digit combination
the numeric code is different for both.
My radio card code is four digits

Hope that info helps you in your hunt for your code, fleckie
STUart

Hi fleckie,
here in Germany we have our precious bit of plastic 'credit card size'. There are two sets of No.s on mine.
'electronic code' consisting of a five digit combination and also a
'mechanical code' consisting of a letter followed by a four digit combination
the numeric code is different for both.
My radio card code is four digits

Hope that info helps you in your hunt for your code, fleckie
STUart

Thanks Stuart - sounds like the numbers may be the electronic code followed by mechanical, though there isn't any letter. Maybe the four digits is the radio code.. Kind of hoping I don't have to find out!

Frances

If you think you know the code (on an 05 registerted Barchetta the immobilers code is 5 nummeric digits, the mechanincal key code is a letter followed by 4 digites e.g. W1234) works and is the right one, then wrap the keep in tin foil and insert into ignition and turn to position 1.

With luck the security key on the dash will illuminate and not go out. Now you can try keying in you 5 digit code via the throttle pedal and see if you can start the car. If you can the the 5 digit code is correct.

It make take you a couple of attempts to get the hang/sequence/timing right when using the pedal.

Enjoy

Hi Guy, I have a similar problem with my ducato based motorhome, so removed the radio and blow it its lost it's code, I've tried several pieces of software to try and get it but it doesn't work. I'll make a donation to the forum if someone can tell me a working one, after I've already paid for one from a website that doesn't work.
Blaupunkt Ducato CD
815BP037733985823

Back