General Cambelt replacement

Currently reading:
General Cambelt replacement

Sgore

Hi all have a couple of questions if ok 1st how hard is it to do a cambelt change and 2nd I noticed the water pump does not come with a gasket do they have a gasket car is 2018 Fiat tipo 1.4 petrol thank you

Check the guides section for 1.2 Fire Punto EVO cambelt change and there you find all the info you need. 8 valve or 16 valve? Turbo or non-turbo?

This is pretty common question, so please do some research. Do you have all of the tools, engine timing & locking tools? If not, then consider that it is relatively cheap to get it done at the garage professionally and it's still quite a new car. You know the risks involved.

If you have done these before and it is 8v version, then it should not be impossible. Yes silicon gasket sealant is used for the water pump. Permatex grey should be ok. Take into account that it needs to dry too. Get the correct timing &lock tools for the engine too. It's also pretty easy to do it wrong without the locking tools and it'll end up costing more than you could imagine. 💡 Good luck.

Check the guides section for 1.2 Fire Punto EVO cambelt change and there you find all the info you need. 8 valve or 16 valve? Turbo or non-turbo?

This is pretty common question, so please do some research. Do you have all of the tools, engine timing & locking tools? If not, then consider that it is relatively cheap to get it done at the garage professionally and it's still quite a new car. You know the risks involved.

If you have done these before and it is 8v version, then it should not be impossible. Yes silicon gasket sealant is used for the water pump. Permatex grey should be ok. Take into account that it needs to dry too. Get the correct timing &lock tools for the engine too. It's also pretty easy to do it wrong without the locking tools and it'll end up costing more than you could imagine. 💡 Good luck.
Thanks for the advice yes done it today pretty easy to be fair with all the right tools only thing is when I finished the car started no worries but no power steering all I've done is cambelt water pump and tensioner any ideas?

Great! (y)

So it's an electric power steering, not hydraulic. Do you drive short distances only? The battery may not be charged well, so first I'd try to recharge the battery to see if it helps. Clean the battery terminals and tighten them. Also the earth cable, it should be ok? Of course you've had to undo some connectors so it's a good idea to check them.

I'm afraid that I can only speculate. Disconnecting the negative terminal will always reset something and these newer vehicles need constant power supply. So I'm not sure if it could lose connection with the e-pas and would need to be reconfigured somehow? Only speculation.

Thanks for the advice yes done it today pretty easy to be fair with all the right tools only thing is when I finished the car started no worries but no power steering all I've done is cambelt water pump and tensioner any ideas?
I would guess you’ve caught a wire/ connector somewhere

I think the wire on the belt cover runs to the crankshaft position sensor and the oil pressure switch. :unsure:

How's the accessory belt? Did you change it, also the automatic tensioner needs changing just to be on the safe side. How many miles on clock? How about accessory belt being a little loose!? :unsure:

Measure the charging current for idle and revs from battery terminals. How much does it fluctuate? Optimal voltage should be about 13.5-14.2 volts. A cigarette lighter voltage meter is also very handy. I usually have it on constantly and check it a few times while driving. Luckily my Linea is not so prone to alternator faults because it still had hydraulic power steering. Tipo also appears to have a very spacious engine bay. Perfect for diy guys. ;)

I think the wire on the belt cover runs to the crankshaft position sensor and the oil pressure switch. :unsure:

How's the accessory belt? Did you change it, also the automatic tensioner needs changing just to be on the safe side. How many miles on clock? How about accessory belt being a little loose!? :unsure:

Measure the charging current for idle and revs from battery terminals. How much does it fluctuate? Optimal voltage should be about 13.5-14.2 volts. A cigarette lighter voltage meter is also very handy. I usually have it on constantly and check it a few times while driving. Luckily my Linea is not so prone to alternator faults because it still had hydraulic power steering. Tipo also appears to have a very spacious engine bay. Perfect for diy guys. ;)
Yes changed fan belt that has an automatic tensioner so all good battery all good alternator all good only wires I've touched are the ones that run in cambelt cover

You didn't remove the rocker cover to lock the camshaft? The faster way to do it is to open the main ECU connectors, but i've never done that. Of course if ECU is not bolted on the cover on Tipo, then I'm just talking nonsense. Usually Fiat design doesn't change much over the years. It can't be the wires on the cover, because it would cause the engine not to start at all. :unsure:

How's the charging voltage? Good? The problem started after the cambelt job so probably nothing's wrong with the alternator either, so first suspect is the belt that runs the alternator and its tightness. Multiecuscan might be able to tell more details on why epas is not available.

You didn't remove the rocker cover to lock the camshaft? The faster way to do it is to open the main ECU connectors, but i've never done that. Of course if ECU is not bolted on the cover on Tipo, then I'm just talking nonsense. Usually Fiat design doesn't change much over the years. It can't be the wires on the cover, because it would cause the engine not to start at all. :unsure:

How's the charging voltage? Good? The problem started after the cambelt job so probably nothing's wrong with the alternator either, so first suspect is the belt that runs the alternator and its tightness. Multiecuscan might be able to tell more details on why epas is not available.

charging voltage is good yes changed cambelt water pump and tensioner car starts as it should turn ignition on and all electrics work ie electric windows heater fan etc soon as you start the car nothing works im at a lose any ideas

so changed cambelt water pump and tensioner,car starts as it should,turn ignition on and electric window,heater fan,and everything else works as it should,soon as the car starts nothing works,car run fine but got no power steering,no electric windows etc any ideas.

When there's not enough power, the car starts to save electricity by turning off systems. Usually people have reported here that it could be the corroded engine bay fuse box, main earth cable, poor battery, dying alternator/charging fault, poor contact, body control module fault.

How old is the battery? A poor battery can still provide enough power to start the car but cause lots of strange electrical issues. Could you get some mechanic to have a look at it?

Back