General Cam belt slipped!

Currently reading:
General Cam belt slipped!

john2443

I put a new cam belt on about 10000 ago, and recently I was going round the M25 and the engine stopped - no bangs, jolts or anything else, just stopped, as though the ignition had been turned off. This is a 93 999cc.

I looked at it and scratched my head it had sparks and petrol, called recovery, he looked at it and scratched his head, and took me home.

In the peace and quiet I checked it all again, still had sparks and petrol, but it wouldn't start, eventually I checked the timing in the absence of a better idea, and found the cam shaft was a quarter turn out from where it should have been, so I took th ebelt off and set it up properly, put it back together and it was fine.

I've now done 1500 miles without any trouble - has anyone come across this before?

The belt wasn't damaged, still had all its teeth. I normally tighten them so that I can just turn it 90 degrees, and it was slightly loose - maybe would turn 100 degrees, but not very loose, so I don't reallt understand what happened. I wasn't doing anything particular when it went, just cruising along in 5th, I could have understood it if I'd been thrashing it at the time!

The tensioner was still tight when I was trying to find out what had gone wrong, so unless it miraculously tightened itself, it wasn't that!!

In the words of Toyah Wicox :-

Oh its a mystery... its a mystery.... :)

Clearly something slipped and I would be sorely tempted to find out what, why and how? Still, its a non-interference lump so it wont break BIG style. (y)

Back