General Calling on Australian 500 owners

Currently reading:
General Calling on Australian 500 owners

Leo6

Hi All! My 1970 500F will shortly be returning to the roads after a two year restoration and will need to go through Regency (The South Australian motor vehicle checking centre) as a modified vehicle as it now has a 652cc engine. As part of the requirements for the car to get back on the road I need to source at minimum two front lap seat belts. So my question is has anyone been through this process? And being the only seatbelts available are from Europe do they meet Australian standards?

My recollection is that if you have as a minimum what was factory fitted at the time of manufacture, for a pre (roughly) 1980s car when the seatbelt ADRs came in, then you're fine.

I'm not sure what was factory fitted on a 70s F but my 68 Mini had lap belts and it was fine back when I registered it. Hopefully that provides some useful info and I wasn't off the right track

Hi Leo,

My 500F (? late 60s) came with lap/sash seat belts installed. It was a RHD Australian import originally sold in Sydney so I guess they were fitted before the car was went to its first owner, though they look more modern than late 60s. You can see them in the photo.

I would think that any good aftermarket belt (lap/sash or just lap) would suffice so long as it's fitted securely.

Chris

Attachments

• Finished interior 4.jpg
    Finished interior 4.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi Chris Thanks for the reply. I’ve spoken to the South Australian modified vehicles department ( modified because I have a 652cc engine and gearbox to install as part of the restoration) and they have told me any car after 1968 has to have at minimum front lap belts. My car came with no belts at all. It’s a original RHD car but I don’t know much other than that. I’m just wondering what others have used seatbelt wise and what is recommended. On another point that is beautiful carpet you have in your car!

Back