Panda (Classic) Calling Dragonman!

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) Calling Dragonman!

There should be a few 'interview technique' books at your local library... its always worth reading through them, you might find you are giving the wrong answers or impressions...

When they ask about hobbies don't mention Fiat Pandas or CB radios :p

Ok, jokes over, I know this is a very serious situation for you. It's great to see all the advice you've been given, people do want you to get on and be successful. I congratulate you on the effort you're putting in, many would do nothing (y)

I too did some voluntary work for social services which lead to full time paid work so this really is a good way to show what you can do.

I used to work in an employment agency years ago and was responsible for hiring drivers and industrial staff ( Van/HGV, factory work etc. ) and then allocating the work as it came in. If someone was keen and always available they would be higher on the list of people I would choose because I wanted to supply good workers as quickly as possible. A few times I received work for just one day and there would be people who would turn this down saying it's not worth going out for just one day, but quite a few times someone who said yes to this would end up impressing the employer and getting more work from it, on a couple of occasions even being taken on full time.
I mention this because it falls in with those that have said about voluntary work etc., you never know what can grow from the smallest of opportunities. I get the impression that you are someone who would say yes to them anyway, so what I'm saying to you is stay that way and don't feel it's a waste of effort, something will come from your persistence in the end.

Also, take this opportunity to think about what you'd really like to do, when you have nothing to lose it's a great time to really go for something. If you're doing something you really want to do it's much easier to keep doing it.

Thanks for the support guys, i am jotting this down.

Well i went into town and into the job center. after waiting 2 and a half hours(!!) i finally got some one to see me. i told them strait, showing them my CV and general cover note (i change it from time to time but i have a general one as printer ink is not cheep!)
they looked at it and told me that my CV looks great its not too little and not over the top. We did a mock interview and again she told me that i was very good at it.
She told me that my down side was my grades at which point i asked if there was anything i could do about it. she told me i could go to college and redo GCSE level "Key skills" grades, but dew to my age i would have to pay for it. i asked if there was any courses that the job center was offering. She told me that there was none at the moment but in a few weeks time a number of free courses are going to be arranged with other businesses but at the time she did not know what they would cover.
she gave me some good advice aswell as a few places i could go in town and drop a CV off to. i wrote down a list of differnt places and set off with my CV and cover letter (we changed them a bit at the job center and printed a few out for me).
Before i left i stopped by the job center computers and had a look on them. A lot of employers are looking for managers and admins, of which i have no experience in(all but 2 or 3 said they needed previous experience.)
I printed a few off but one of them sparked my interest, working as a supply chain controller in a automotive parts department.

Anyway i walked around town visiting the addresses that the person at the job center gave me. Quite a lot were back streets i would of never thought of looking down. by now it was snowing lol so that was not helping matters much. I visited all but 2 addresses and started to make my way home. i was froze to the bone.. lucky my grandparents flat is along the way home so i stopped by to see how my grandparents were, had a warm, dried my sock out (1 year old Vans worn through already :( ) and my grandad gave me a lift back home the rest of the way.

I think it was a good day out.. i have already emailed my CV and cover letter to some of the employers i printed off at the job center so.. i hope i will soon get a phone call.

Great work Dragon man (y) It must be quite refreshing for the job centre staff to deal with someone who actually wants a job!

I'd really push for that supply chain controller in a automotive parts department job, sounds ideal.

Last edited:
Back