General Bye bye Punto.

Currently reading:
General Bye bye Punto.

BigJohnD

Yesterday, I traded in my MkII 02 Punto for a 55 plated Citroën C4 VTR+ diesel. :)

I got 1800 quid for the bog standard Punto (taxed and tested to 03/07, needs 72K mi service), which was OK. They were more interested in the full and complete service history than looking at the car itself. I never really liked the MkII - the styling and 8v engine were no match for the 16v MkI. It was probably the better built car though, but I shan't be missing it.

I understand it'll be in an auction next week. I wonder if they'll get their moeny back.

The C4 is very very comfortable and does 60mpg at 75mph on the cruise control. Very civilised. I feel a booze cruise coming on

Last edited:
I share your thoughts on the mk2, better to crash in, but all round soleless car.

C4 diesel is an acceptable replacement.
even the 4dr one is stylish. Haven't heard that much about them TBH.

£1800 is pretty good going for an 02 bog std model. you'd see them for less than that used private. and as you say at auction they'd be barely making that back

Come on lads, as good as the mk2 is, it is pretty souless. Soulness comes with character. And quirks give character. The mk2 and mk2.5 are both very good cars: reliable, perform well, cheap to run. But I think older cars have more soul and character. You can't beat my VW camper for soul. Yes it's technically sh*t (regarding refinement, performance etc), but its shortcomings are the things that make it fun! I guess its a matter of opinion, and if you think different, fair enough!

You can't beat my VW camper for soul.
Can't argue there! I had a few laughs with one in the early 70s - both in it and trying to repair it at the roadside.

I had 3 Puntos over 11 years (two brand new) so have given them a fair hearing. I had a look at the Punto Grande, but it just seemed too small, though generally very good.

After a few days in the C4, I'm happy with the change. It's not really a competitor with the Punto, more a F**d F*c*s basher - which upper mangement drives. It's a generation on from the F*c*s, and far more comfortable and economical.

But happy Fiating to you all, drive carefully, and I still have a soft spot for that wonderful twin cam 16v - don't buy a Punto without one!

PS: Let me know if DK02 TWG appears. (Nero black, basic 1.2, scrapes over offside rear wheel arch)

Last edited:
Back